Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2018, 03:13 PM
    Ford Flex rear brake caliper
    So my husband and his brother changed my rear breaks. New cars have this tool now that you twist the caliper instead of push it in to get the new break pad in. The caliper had more room to rotate in and the rubber cracked open while it required one more rotation or so. Is this rubber necessary? Is a new caliper needed because the rubber tore?
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2018, 03:51 PM
    So it's the dust boot that tore of that helps the answer.

I've read you just wait until your next break job and relolace the caliper then. Or they have kits to replace the rubber yourself?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2018, 04:17 PM
    I have seen BRAKES operate for a long time with a torn dust boot.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2018, 08:08 PM
    My bad. I spelled BRAKES correctly in the title but didn't think twice about it in my writing. You know even though I studied English for another four years after high school into college, it happens here and there!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 23, 2018, 09:12 PM
    The caliper should not require replacement at this point. The dust boot in this case is just to keep things clean. If it's not leaking hydraulic fluid, just keep it as clean as possible and put it back in service.
    An experienced mechanic should verify the brake system performance before you drive the vehicle.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2018, 08:44 AM
    How do you keep it clean? I know dirt roads should be avoided and winter weather like snow with salt as well. We don't have snow but we have property on a dirt road but we don't travel it often.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rear Brake Lights won't come on from rear brake pedal. [ 3 Answers ]

2008 Road King with ABS brakes. When I press the rear brake pedal, the brake lights do not come on. They DO come on when I pull the front brake lever. The running lights and turn signals all work properly. No blown fuses or blown light bulbs. >moved to Motorcycles<

'99 Civic Rear Brake question. I need to replace my rear brake shoes on a '99... [ 1 Answers ]

'99 Civic Rear Brake question. I need to replace my rear brake shoes on a '99 Honda Civic. I have never changed them before and I am wondering the difficulty level of changing them. The mechanic is charging around $250 and I asked AutoZone and their prices is $15.99 per shoe so I'm thinking it...

My camry brake caliper bushings will not go all the way in [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing front right brake caliper on 99 camary the bushings metal end into mount will not go in flush

Brake Caliper sticking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 99 Lexus LX470. I returned home from a long trip and noticed a terrible scraping on the left rear rotor, even without the brakes applied. I took off the caliper and noticed the outer one was like new and the inner one was completely gone. I put new pads on and started to work the next day...

View more questions Search