Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 21, 2018, 01:09 AM
    Tide pod challenge
    Not that many years ago, when AMHD was at it's most popular, there was something going around the internet called the salt and ice challenge. Teens would put salt on a body part of their choosing, and then place ice on top of it, which of course would cause a burn.

When this "challenge" was going on we'd get daily posts from concerned teens that had tried this stupidity, asking if the burn would go away, if they needed medical attention, if it would scar.

I never ever thought that I'd look back at that challenge and think, "eh, it's not so bad", but now, here we are dealing with the newest in teenage stupidity, the tide pod challenge.

I'm sure most people have heard of it, but if not I'll break it down for you. Tide pods are laundry detergent, they come in little plastic sealed cubes with three different types of chemicals used to wash your clothes. You place the pod in your laundry, the water dissolves the plastic shell, the chemicals are released and wash your clothes. Saves having to scoop powdered laundry, or pour liquid detergent, just grab, plop into the wash and you're ready to go.

Well the new challenge challenges teens (because sadly they're the ones gullible enough to try this) to eat a tide pod.

So what happens? Well, they place the tide pod in their mouth, their saliva makes the plastic shell deteriorate, and the chemicals then flood their mouth. These chemicals are harsh chemicals not meant for consumption (DUH) and will cause burns inside the mouth and on the lips. Now, if the child is lucky enough to contain the chemcials in their mouth and not swallow, they're looking at severe burns and possible surgery because of the damage this causes. If they're unlucky enough to swallow any of this chemical mixture they're looking at a possible lifetime of issues, many surgeries and possibly death.

Now, a lot of teens that have done this challenge say they knew the risks. So why did they do it? Fame. Yup, that's right, 15 minutes of YouTube fame, likes, acknowledgement from peers, from the world, even if it's a bunch of people laughing at them or telling them they're idiots. They're literally willing to risk their lives, risk a lifetime of medical issues, just for likes on YouTube.

I'm at a loss for words.

Why did I start this thread? Just thought maybe we adults, and maybe the teens on this site, should discuss this. I'd love to hear teens chime in, especially those that would consider doing something like this, because I can't wrap my head around the why of it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 21, 2018, 02:34 AM
    Gets worse as well: This guy tried vaping a Tide pod and it didn’t go so well - NME
    Can you say Darwin award candidates.....

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

turning the tide! [ 13 Answers ]

we have waited a long time to hear a report like this and now we will hear the outcry, the bleeding hearts will be all over us but we are going to lead in this soveriegn borders thing Australia 'forces' asylum seeker boat back to Indonesia: reports It maybe a little like King Canute but the...

Tide Stain Release [ 2 Answers ]

I got a stain on my white sweater and I just want to know if I could spray the Tide Stain Release on the sweater without washing the sweater after, or will it ruin it?

Water tide [ 0 Answers ]

Title: "water tide" song of british band

Advice to tide over funds problem [ 1 Answers ]

My business is in mess by drawing more funds to pay banks

View more questions Search