Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tekbria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2018, 01:47 PM
    Florida can a landlord double dip
    When someone gives notice to break a lease and the landlord rents the apartment immediately, can the landlord charge rent to both parties?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 17, 2018, 02:17 PM
    I don't have time today to look up FL tenant law. Most states allow charges for money and time spent on finding a new tenant, but do not allow to charge for the rest of the rental term, once a new tenant is found.

Keep in mind, however, that no state allows for a tenant to 'give notice' to break a lease, unless it's a month-to-month lease, i.e., a tenant at will, in which either party can give a month's notice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2018, 06:53 PM
    Agreed, you can not 'give notice" to break a lease, you may tell them and you may break it.
    They may recoup all costs of cleaning, advertising, and costs. They can not collect rent for the same apartment twice. After they are satisfied of their costs.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2018, 07:18 PM
    Read your lease agreement. If you were breaking a lease, just moving out without proper notice, unless there was dire need, I would keep your last months rent. They can always have need for fixup and repair. Security deposit?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2018, 08:06 PM
    A lot of places REQUIRE a repaint before new tenants move in... for people that honor their lease its part of doing business... when people break their lease that imposes an extra unexpected expense for the landlord.. which along with damages... they CAN collect for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord double rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I rent a garage with yard space for a small landscaping co.landlord just decided to double my rent because he feels the amount I pay now is just "too low".I should add he just inherited the property from an older woman who passed away.Can he do this with no notice?

Landlord collecting double rent? [ 2 Answers ]

State: California I gave my apartment landlord 30 days verbal notice but failed to give her a written 30 day notice at the end of my 1 year lease. I had not noticed in my lease that the written part was required and they are holding me to another months rent after the lease is up and raised the...

Can my landlord collect double rent [ 3 Answers ]

My lease expires the end of this month, but we are leaving the 13th. Are we entitled to some of that rent back if they rent it before the end of the month? Also, how many days notice do you have to give to vacate in So carolina if your lease is up anyhow?

View more questions Search