samuel2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2018, 09:58 PM
    Why do I itch when I try to sleep
    I need to stop itiching when I try to sleep
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 14, 2018, 06:37 AM
    Hello Sam,

Could it be dry skin? Try moisturizing lotion before bed, or take a look at what you sleep in, the bed or jammies, if you wear them LOL. Let me know what happens or what you find.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 14, 2018, 07:09 AM
    Hi, please ask this under Medical. I'll be happy to give my experience with this.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 14, 2018, 07:36 AM
    Moved to appropriate category.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 14, 2018, 09:25 AM
    I've had dry skin my whole life. Now at 71, it's even drier.
    The one solution that worked for me for sleeping was to stay in my clothes (unless I was really grungy)!
    The small amount of oil produced by the skin during the day is still in your clothes, and it provides a small amount of protection.
    In winter, I go as long as I can between showers, too, and I'm not embarrassed to say so. For me it's the difference between massive itching and even crusty, extra itchy spots, vs. ability to sleep.
    Of course I also use unscented and cream soaps like Dove or home made shea butter or cocoa butter, and use it sparingly.
    Dry gently, and walk around nude for a while to allow air on your skin, part of skin health.
    Sometimes I put a few drops of lotion on a big towel so I can apply it to my back.
    Just last winter I discovered that microfiber long underwear helps tremendously.

Tendency to dry skin is partly diet and partly genetic. You can google a good dietary approach.
    But I had dry skin since early childhood, while my sister had extra oily skin. She battled acne, and I never had any. Her hair got super oily immediately after washing it, while mine was always dry.
    I have a friend who is an MD. She went from dry skin to very oily skin overnight, after a concussion. The pituitary and hypothalamus work together to control involuntary functions. I would guess that maybe her injury hit the hypothalamus.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why do I itch when I try to sleep [ 2 Answers ]

When I lay down to sleep, I just itch all over till I get so frustraited from scratching I just get back up, it seems like the onlytime I can sleep anymore is just being dead tired

Sleep Paralysis associated with Sleep Seizures? [ 4 Answers ]

I've dealt with sleep paralysis ever since I was a kid. As I got older, the "attacks" became more painful, I would feel actual physical pain and could not move or speak. About a few months ago, I could feel myself having little convulsions as I was having this painful sleep paralysis. I would only...

My son has a bad itch [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know what it is... It's form into hives. He's not on any meds. I gave him a bath and rum him down with corozone crème it works for a little while then comes right back what is the skin rash

Need sleep, are on stilnox, clinics can cure the addiction but how do I sleep after [ 4 Answers ]

I have been drinking stilnox for three years to sleep, understand I am sort of addictive to it, been to docters, clinics, sleeping facilities, drank herbal medicine, follwed what's called sleep hygience, drank serotonin enhancers, NOTHING works, it's extremely difficult to get stilnox here and...

Dogs sleep walking and urinating in their sleep? [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 14. She has urinated in her sleep three times. But the last one concerned me... she got up frantically and ran around the room, then into the wall. It startled her and she laid down and began urinating. I was looking at her and its like she didn't even realize she was doing it. She then...

View more questions Search