Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Usernamebla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2018, 09:14 PM
    Is my pet parakeet injured?
    One of my budgerigar's wings recently started trembling. After some of the day I watched him attempt to fly (mind, he is young and clipped, though does flutter around at times) but he just fell to the ground. He's also been fluffed lately. I'm worried he's injured, and my family doesn't really put my birds first, so it's very unlikely we'd visit a vet, so here I am. One thing to know, he recently lost one of the primary feathers originally left when I bought him clipped around a month ago, (the incident was 2 weeks ago). He was bleeding a bit, but I made sure to put a stop to that quickly. I'm not sure if that has to do with this. Maybe he's unbalanced? But then why would he be able to fly for the past two weeks? I would highly appreciate a quick answer, because I have no idea what's wrong with him and I'm afraid there is no time to lose. Thank you.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2018, 06:53 AM
    If you "want a quick answer" with "no time to lose" then go to a vet. That is the responsibility of pet ownership.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 14, 2018, 03:23 PM
    Sadly it sounds like he may be sick. Birds fluff up to keep warm, so maybe turn up the heat a bit in his room. Also, a budgie losing even a small amount of blood can be fatal. But you said the bleeding incident was weeks ago so that really shouldn't be what's causing this sudden behavior.

If the vet is out of the question, which frankly most vets know nothing about birds, try adding more calcium to his diet and feed good quality food. A good source or protein for birds is eggs and egg shells. Hard boil the egg, give a bit in his food. Crunch up the shell until it's a fine powder, add it to his food.

That's really all you can do for him right now if a vet is out of the question. I hope he's OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My parakeet looks puffy? [ 1 Answers ]

My parakeet is looking "puffy" around his feathers. What is wrong?

Parakeet's limp leg [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed last night that my parakeet has one foot and leg that just hangs he can't put it on the perch I took him out and he didn't squack when I moved his leg and his foot just seemed dead.

Parakeet isn't warming up to us [ 0 Answers ]

We have two parakeets, Sugar and Kiwi. We've had Sugar for about a year and a half now and she's really friendly. She likes to come out of her cage, fly up to us and sit on our shoulders or hand and check out what we're doing. We got Kiwi just 3-4 months after we go Sugar. The two of them get along...

Parakeet problems [ 31 Answers ]

I have a very friendly parakeet. She is 2 and a half years old. She is puffy. I was holding her and she moved her beak up and down and then seeds come out. This happened about 3 times. We had a moth infestation, that might have been the reason that she got sick. We just cleaned the cage today. ...

Not sure what is wrong with my parakeet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a parakeet that has been just laying around on the bottom of his cage today. I noticed when he finally got up onto his perch that his right foot is stiff. I'm worried because my last parakeet just laid around on the bottom of the cage before he died, but he didn't have a stiff foot. ...

View more questions Search