Jan 12, 2018, 08:35 AM
    Short Sale
    In a short sale on property, if the bank sells the property
    Comes of short of the amount owes, is the owner still have
    Responsibility for the balance?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2018, 11:11 AM
    Depends on the state. Some require absolving the debt, others do not. The money just doesn't disappear, in almost all cases, a 1099 will be issued for the difference in the sale. Let's say the short sale is $10K. The debtor will get a 1099 for the $10K.
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2018, 11:51 AM
    Great Information
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2018, 03:59 PM
    If the bank sells the property is not really a short sell, the bank sells it for less than the loan amount. (this is normal after they forclose)

A real short sell is when the owner sells it for less than the bank loan, with the bank agreeing, but the bank forgives the balance of the loan. (then that is an IRS issue since taxes will be owed on that forgiven amount)

In this case, the property would have been forclosed on and bank took ownership. Then the bank sells, either at an auction or though a real estate company. Almost always this sells for less than the loan balance, since sell fees are added in.

Almost all of those, the past owner will owe the balance of the money, it is in almost all of the loans.
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2018, 04:42 PM
    Very informative
    noseyrosey Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 10, 2018, 08:52 AM
    It depends on your investor of your loan... such as if you have an FHA loan, you will NOT be responsible for the deficiency on the short sale.

I work on short sales at a mortgage company, if you need more info, let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short Sale [ 3 Answers ]

What percentage of short sales gets the debtor completely resolved of Any further debt hereafter. I wonder how many creditors would accept a complete absorption of the balance of the mortgage? I suppose a Specify narrative should state that the debtor is completely cleared of any further debt...

Tax and short sale [ 1 Answers ]

I have a short sale coming up I have the following question. Thank you in advance for answering my questions. 1.I have 80/20 mortgage, which was refinanced in CA, My current balance for 289K and 73K ; The offer I submitted to the lenders for 180K; there would be a balance of 181K 2.My first...

Short sale [ 1 Answers ]

When a short sale is not accepted what is the next best option?

FHA short sale [ 4 Answers ]

I sold my house over 4 years ago via a short sale because I had been laid off and could no longer afford to pay my monthly mortgage. I received a letter in the mail yesterday, Feb 22, 2007, from HUD saying that I owed them $4900. I can only assume that this is from the property that was sold 01/03,...

View more questions Search