Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2172ella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2018, 01:42 PM
    We are senior citizens considering bankruptcy, can we do this with a reverse mtg.
    We are senior citizens considering bankruptcy, we have a reverse mtg. can we still apply for bankruptcy and will they take our auto. It is a 2005?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 7, 2018, 05:33 PM
    You can't do much of anything without approval of the lender who is paying the reverse mortgage.
    They won't take your vehicle.

Check with your nearest senior center about financial advice for everything you are doing.
    Or ask at the town hall, or look online at AARP.

It might be that you just can't maintain your home, and are in too deep.
    If you have Medicaid in addition to Medicare, and you need nursing home care, the state (Medicaid) will take your home, what's left of it on paper, if you own it for the 5 years prior to needing the care.
    Sometimes it's best to sell the house now rather than try to live there forever. (Yes, you can sell with a reverse mortgage.) Apply for senior housing before you put it up for sale.
    You might do best talking to both the town social worker about housing and benefits, and a senior financial advisor.

Many areas hold talks at senior centers, or at senior living facilities, about all of this, 2 or more times a year.
    It doesn't have to be a 'nursing home.' These days, there are very nice places with cottages or apartments too.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 7, 2018, 07:37 PM
    I don't know your location, but consulting a bankruptcy attorney would be wise. Too much depends on the particulars of your case to give an answer. What does your 13 year old car have to do with this? What type of reverse mortgage do you have as there are several types. What type of debt are you seeking relief from?

The devil is in the details.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankrupsy and senior citizens [ 4 Answers ]

My question to you is I have a personal friend ,who is a senior citizen and co signed on a car note. The car was repossessed after a short time,now the are taking her to court to pay 14,000 her only source of income is social security,she has no car no home,no assets She wants to file...

a/c repair for senior citizens [ 2 Answers ]

I am a senior citizen with no financial help and need a/c repair. Can anyone help? Houston, TX

Senior Citizens: [ 6 Answers ]

This is a questionnaire for old people can you please fill it out? I am a student who is currently studying at University, I am doing a project on older people and have to design a new service, network or other solution that would benefit older people experiencing or vulnerable to loneliness...

Senior Citizens Daycare [ 2 Answers ]

What is the success and failure rate of a senior citizens daycare (adult daycare)?

Senior citizens tax rebate [ 4 Answers ]

I think I have the necessary information. Seniors on only social security income and make over $3,000 must file a tax form to get their $300.00 rebate. The sample tax form 1040a. Besides the label part and signing the form. You just need to fill in line 14E and send a copy of your 1099 and...

View more questions Search