Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Willygibby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2018, 10:27 AM
    Chirping noise from electrical outlet?
    Hello, I have the same problem with the chirping noise. When we plug into an outlet and the chirping noise starts. It last for about 2 minutes. It's seems like it's coming from an outlet about 15' feet away from the outlet being used. Can this be electrical. It only makes the chirping noise when I'm using the outlet in the room. We haven't had any electrical work done. Thanks for any input.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 7, 2018, 02:02 PM
    If you hear a clicking or buzzing sound from a receptacle outlet, then more than likely the connection of the wires to the receptacle have come loose. The clicking sound or buzzing sound is electrical arching (sparking). This is a fire waiting to happen.

Shut the breaker off for that circuit. Remove the receptacle faceplate and the receptacle and make sure the screws holding the wires to the receptacle are tight. If they are not, tighten them. If the wires go into holes in the back of the receptacle, take the wires out and tighten them down under the screws. Turn the breaker back on and listen for the sound. If it is gone, turn the breaker off and reinstall the receptacle and faceplate. Then turn the breaker back on.

DO NOT DO ANY WORK WHILE THE BREAKER IS IN THE "ON" POSITION!
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2018, 05:06 AM
    ....if the chirping does not go away, replace the receptacles with new ones. If you still
    have chirping after new devices have been installed, look and listen again as the problem may be somewhere else...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2018, 02:55 PM
    I have never heard a "chirping" outlet. Ceiling fans, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide, all new smoke detectosr have a 10 year chirp. I'd look there first. Back to back outlets can transfer sound through the outlet box. I once had a chirp that drove me crazy. However, after careful checking, found out it was the battery alert for a CO detector.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple Chase thermostat making a chirping noise [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 Maple Chase 7 days programmable thermostats. One upstairs and down. Just recently, the one upstairs started making this funny 'chirping/vibrating' noise. The thermostat still works (it heats the house), but the noise is sort of annoying... I replaced the batteries, even though there were...

Is this chirping from the electrical wiring? [ 8 Answers ]

We started noticing chirping (3 chirps) in our family room 2 weeks ago. We thought a bird in the fireplace. Then we realized it never stopped chirping day or night. We clocked it --every 2.5minutes. Then we mapped it--it went totally around the room --particularly near electrical outlets. The...

My electrical outlet has started chirping/squeaking intermittedly. [ 4 Answers ]

It's the weirdest thing. The outlet began chirping/squeaking intermittedly about 2 weeks ago. Both outlets supply electricity i.e. they work. But it's quite annoying. And I don't know if this is dangerous. It sort of sounds like the chirping of my smoke alarm, but not as loud, when it wants a...

Chirping noise in an outside light switch [ 1 Answers ]

We have a floodlight on our back porch and I just noticed tonight that it has a chirp (intermittent) that I've never noticed before. It stops if I put pressure on the cover or push on the switch but as soon as I let go it starts again. It also chirps when the switch is in the off position. Not a...

Chirping noise [ 0 Answers ]

You might turn on a light switch or you might not be doing anything but sitting in your chair and you will here a shrill chirping sound. Very random when it occurs. I disconnected the smoke alarms today and it still does it. Any ideas what could be causing this?

View more questions Search