Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanyT12169 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2018, 06:09 AM
    Probably the silliest question ever but cant get it off my mind
    So basically I struggle with both OCD and anxiety, and I went out last night and I am a non-smoker, but because literally all my friends smoke socially when clubbing they asked me to try it yes purely my decision, but I was drunk so I said why not I literally only had one puff and that was it and handed it back. But now I feel so guilty cause all I'm seeing in my mind are those pictures of lungs and stuff after smoking. Anyway my question is will I know have tobacco permanently in my lungs and/or will this affect me in any way? I understand that it's a bit of a stupid question but my paranoia won't let me get it off my mind.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2018, 06:18 AM
    You don't have to actually be smoking it to have damage... all that second hand smoke you inhale clubbing and otherwise does too. But that will have done far more damage than actually smoking one time only would have.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 7, 2018, 07:15 AM
    I would be more worried about your drunken behavior in smoke filled environments having deeper more long lasting effects than one actual cigarette you smoked. In addition, as was pointed out, maybe you should take heed of your paranoia and just stay out of smoke filled drunken environments PERIOD! Much easier to deal with your OCD, and anxieties without that stuff. Drunkenness and second hand smoke kills just as effectively as actually smoking.

Need help with that? It's out there if you want it.
    DanyT12169 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2018, 07:25 AM
    Yes, I have fully learnt my lesson in regards to that just first night back at university and celebrating with my friends, I am not a regular drinker.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2018, 07:33 AM
    I will agree, just being in a club filled with smoke is almost as bad as smoking yourself. You need to stay in areas with no smoke, to best protect your lungs.

Lungs over time, can self clean but that takes years and years.

A bigger worry is the drinking which can do much more harm to your body,
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 7, 2018, 08:28 AM
    Absolutely not a silly question. No, this one puff will not permanently damage your lungs.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 7, 2018, 07:05 PM
    I, at 71, don't have great lungs because I inhaled a lot of construction debris in the early 80s.
    However, I live in a rural area. No vehicle exhaust, or diesel from trucks and buses.
    No clubs full of smokers either.
    Which one has healthier lungs, you or I?
    No way to know.
    I went to a museum as a kid and saw real lungs, healthy ones and smokers' lungs. The smokers lungs were black, and I mean BLACK, coated with tar, like a parking lot freshly tarred. The healthy lungs were pink.
    Go out to restaurants and coffee shops instead.

The best cure for anxious ocd like this is education. Study it. Then this 'silly' question won't be silly, AND you will get it off your mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm getting out of my mind [ 7 Answers ]

I really don't know why my 2 older "sisters" do that to me... I wake up in the morning hearing them saying horrible stuff about me and they continue doing that the whole day... I don't do anything, except, I wake up on 11:00 am because I study all night and I need some sleep. Their excuse is, I...

Ex won't get out of my mind. [ 2 Answers ]

So last month I broke up with my boyfriend after he told my friend he secretly didn't actually like me anymore. And I really just can't stop thinking about him! I know I need to move on but I can't! Help! I'm 15

The silliest article ever? A Christian Plot for Domination? [ 81 Answers ]

The birthers have nothing on this woman. According to Michelle Goldberg, Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry are Dominionists plotting a theocratic takeover of the world (and now for the rebirth of theocracywatch). Bwaa ha ha ha! As Michael Gerson notes, the evidence for this paranoid...

What goes through a guy's mind set [ 4 Answers ]

There's this guy who works up the block from me... he is handsome and has a type of charm which draws me attention to him... I went into the store today to buy a hair product and with a couple of seconds I noticed he was vacuuming around me... he got closer which made me feel a bit content... I...

View more questions Search