Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsilvanu Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2018, 01:18 PM
    What is the value of a pair of Chinese Cinnabar Lacquer Vase
    A pair of red Cinnabar lacquer vase where the top rim of one is damaged and was fixed by the original owner.
    The seller explained that her dad bought these pair from China and one had a piece broken and he fixed it. She was honest and pointed out the damage. Bought it for peanuts because of the damage to one of the vase.
    Need to know if it's genuine Chinese and if it is, how old? What is its true value? Will the damage affect the value? There are typical Chinese scenes on the body of the vase.
    The first image, the damage can be clearly seen at the top rim. The other two images shows two different scenes found on both vase.
    Hoping to hear some answers. Thanks.
    Attached Images

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 6, 2018, 05:20 PM
    She was honest, yet you are here asking if she told the truth...

Looks painted to me, sorry. 'Lacquer' and 'cinnabar' in the same sentence? Cinnabar is a bright but dull red on it's own. Lacquer is paint with a very high sheen.

You don't show the bases anyway.

I think you need to spend a few months reading antique guides in a library.

Jan 7, 2018, 01:46 AM
    Thank you for your curt answer.

As I have limited knowledge and no expertise in antiques, you don't have to be rude.

That's the reason for my enquiries for my collectibles.

Would prefer not to entertain any answers from you in the future.

Thank you.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 7, 2018, 03:31 AM
    You don't get to choose who answers here. You cant find cheap authentication on line anyway. If you want qualified answers as to your finds, have them appraised by someone who can actually see and handle them.

Jan 8, 2018, 07:13 PM
    Thank you Tickle, appreciate your decent answer.

Will take your advise to get an appraisal from a professional.

It's more logical.

Once again, thank you!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 9, 2018, 07:14 PM
    It's almost impossible to find an answer to this online. Even someone that knows these vases and knows what they're worth, would have to see them in person in order to determine if they're real or fake, and if the damage would affect the worth.

I agree with Tickle, time to find an appraiser in your area. Your best bet is to Google and find someone that specializes in Chinese vases. Not every appraiser knows every item out there, so finding someone that specializes in your particular inquiry is very important in order to get an accurate appraisal.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2018, 06:44 AM
    My curt, not rude, response is because we have been telling you this for YEARS, and yet you act like it's new advice each time.
    Also, I have given you good solid information over the years yet never received a single response, not even to say what happened if/when you took the advice, such as contact for the Picasso pin expert.
    If anyone's being rude, it's you, but I don't think about anything that transpires here that way, so it's moot to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A pair of earing or a pair of shoe but make the girl beautiful. [ 1 Answers ]

Badly like to know this old movies. Prob in year 1980s or 1990s. Colour movie. Tale about a lady wearing a pair of shoe or a pair of earing instantly make her beautiful.. Bt in the end of the movie she throw it in the river.. Please help me find the title of this movie. Please. It's the only...

how do I wire a kicker Dx 200.4 to a pair 6x9 and pair 5 1/4 [ 0 Answers ]

How can I get the best proformance from a kicker Dx 200.4

How did the chinese culture influence the chinese language? [ 0 Answers ]

Someone reply quick please, I have to do an oral presentation tomorrow! Thanks

View more questions Search