Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2018, 05:04 PM
    They would still be organized without cops and courts, and always have been since the beginning of time, and often more organized than the law and order guys.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 12, 2018, 07:24 PM
    An approximation of lawless and orderless is a wild west town before they elect a sheriff.
    Bands of criminals, killing who they want and taking what they want, until people fight back, and eventually hire a sheriff.
    Can you call those gangs 'organized crime?' Sort of, but it isn't what we use that term for. We use it for crime that is much more involved in what is legal.

Law and Order are two different things.
    Laws are legislatures, courts, judges, lawyers, and juries.
    Order is those who uphold the law by attempting to enforce it and arrest those who break it.
    The distinction is very important, so that the police don't get to decide who is guilty or not. A difficult distinction and will always be so.
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2018, 12:19 PM
    Thank you so much. This is just the answer I needed for it to click
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 13, 2018, 03:06 PM
    I don't understand here, for one instance, why you have to have the meaning of quotes from whatever explained to you. Why don't you understand what is written. I have no problem understanding this. So maybe you can explain your problem. Is it just not comprehending the spoken word because of a brain injury (sorry) a major stroke that re-directed your brain functions. I am being clinical here, and I am trying to understand your problem Allen Farber.

Tick
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2018, 01:36 PM
    I boils down to this.. it's a TV Show.. don't go looking for the meaning of life in it.. because even the best plots and story writing don't get anywhere as deep as reality... and they are ALL very subject to a very liberally used artistic license.

A movie will have it far most hashed out and worked out... but a TV series only has X amount of time to come up with the next weeks show... so I think it really doesn't make a lot of sense to go looking for deeper meaning when its not even actually factored into the story-line.

The problem is like with books, it relies heavily on the consumer to read between the lines and fill it in with whatever they want... meaning you could put 100 people in the room and you could come up with 100 different things that weren't actually part of the script.

And the MOB, you see on TV couldn't be further from reality than it is most times. In one sense they are just like you and me.. and in another they couldn't be more different.

Hard to put that in words. But I've actually known not just knew of... people from several Crime families (mobsters actually) now deceased. Knew them long before I knew of their connections.. In one case I never learned of it until after their death.

Jan 22, 2018, 04:31 AM
    I don't know what my problem is... it's just every time I read something or hear something it just sounds like words without any meaning. I've lost a lot of jobs because of this and my college education is on the line with only sub par grades. It makes sense to others just not to me and no doctors can diagnose me with anything. I've taken pills, natural remedies, and even been to a hyperbaric chamber and none have worked.

Jan 22, 2018, 04:57 AM
    Sorry, now I've been thinking about it some more. Why does organized crime value law (legislature and judges) and order (police) so much? Without them, would they still not be able to sell their drugs and kill their competitors? If anything, anarchy should make it easier for them because then there's no cops and judges to pay off. I know it's "just a show" but it's a show that prides itself in being at least somewhat rooted in real life (season 1 at least)... and gangsters pay off cops and judges in real life, so how does it work for them? Also, why are cops and judges so secretive about being paid off by the mob? I mean if someone were to expose them, why would they lose power? Even if the citizens try to protest about it, gangsters and police officers no doubt will come on top
    current pert

Jan 22, 2018, 05:40 AM
    I answered the first question before - the mob values law and order to take care of the pesky little competitors so they don't have to. And since they have legit businesses to act as fronts and money launderers, they don't want anarchy making it more difficult.
    Of course they could handle it themselves. It's an exaggerated concept to heighten the ''you need us, we need you'' theory.

Secretive? Of course they have to be. They are civil servants, paid for with our tax dollars. We the People won't stand for them being on the take. But also of course many of them do remain in power. Some are elected, some appointed, some hired. They hang onto their jobs in the usual ways - lying, trading favors, and shmoozing with others in power.

As for what is 'wrong' with your brain, whatever it is is interesting. You do seem to be wired differently. Many a cognitive science study would like to study you. I think you want everything in life to fall into neatly defined categories, with one neatly described answer. This is often associated with Asperger's. But you can also look at it as being a kind of smart, because you look for exact, 'correct' answers for everything. I'm reminded of the 4th grader whose arithmetic problem is marked 'wrong' by the teacher. The problem is which of these numbers is divisible by 2: 4 1/2, 13, 20 7/8. He says 'all of them.' He is correct. Why is a simple math problem not simple? Because it's really about how the question is WORDED. The exact, correct wording should be 'which of these numbers is divisible by 2 with no remainder.'

That of course doesn't get you through college nor allow you to keep a job. But it is possible to find your niche with Asperger's, or whatever it is that might defy a diagnosis. Many if not most Aspies function just fine once they find their spot in the world.

There's no test for Asperger's other than a series of questions. There IS some evidence of upon autopsy, in the frontal and temporal cortex, areas of 'higher function.' The cortex is that thin layer of folds on the brain that make it wrinkled. Asperger's is classified on the autism spectrum. It can run in families.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 22, 2018, 07:15 AM
    As I see it Allen, and no offense, you seem to get stuck on useless details, and fail to see the important big picture. Case in point is you are taking the dialogue of a TV show, and looking for meaning instead of the EFFECT the dialogue has on the character. In making such a big deal of it, let it go since and discussion will give you different opinions and everyone has an opinion, including you. Most people would have LET THIS GO for more important more real things that need focusing on.

don't know what my problem is... it's just every time I read something or hear something it just sounds like words without any meaning. I've lost a lot of jobs because of this and my college education is on the line with only sub par grades. It makes sense to others just not to me and no doctors can diagnose me with anything. I've taken pills, natural remedies, and even been to a hyperbaric chamber and none have worked.
    What kind of jobs have you had that you LOST? What kind of courses are you currently taking that your grades are subpar? What courses specifically are you doing well in? Is this your FIRST year of college? These are my questions to you, as I think you focus on the wrong things, and ignore the important things. A job requires following directions ergo if you follow directions you keep your job, so why were you really fired? The important thing is the kinds of jobs you were fired from. Good grades require focusing on the course work and remembering because that's what college test are about as well as the homework, and study habits. That is why knowing what your grades are can reveal strengths and weakness, causes, and a plan to do better.

This is why I hope you can answers my questions and feel free to ask your own, because I admit to being quite confused by your lack of success with school work, and jobs, while making such a big deal over a TV show. Have you ever had an aptitude test?

Jan 22, 2018, 03:28 PM
    It kind of is the big picture as the whole show revolves around the idea of organized crime and how to combat it within the system. As for jobs I lost, usually waiter, cashier, and clerical things. I misinterpret a lot of instructions and my manager thinks I do it purposely to be funny or to be a jerk. I’m in accounting as that’s primarily numbers and not words or having to read or understand meaning. I usually do well with numbers but I’m doing horrible with it somehow. And I obviously do care about grades in college but it’s like building blocks. Without understanding basic English and concepts, if you keep building on top of that without addressing it you’ll keep getting more and more confused. So if I can’t understand a quote that most people get, I doubt I could do well in a course 3 times as difficult. Despite reasoning with my brain that there’s more important things to focus on, my brain betrays me and keeps bugging me with thing I’m stuck on that’s comparatively less important. Sometimes I don’t even sleep as my Brain refuses to shut off

I understood the majority of what you said but how does anarchy affect money laundering and being able to model your drug business as a pizza parlor or whatever the front is
    current pert

Jan 22, 2018, 04:21 PM
    Allen (sorry to get off the subject again) what is your native language?

Jan 22, 2018, 05:35 PM
    English...but despite me growing up speaking english and being around people that speak it, everytime I read a book or hear someone talk, it all seems jumbled up or broken and makes no sense. It's almost like I'm in a dream 24/7
    current pert

Jan 22, 2018, 06:07 PM
    Someday science of the brain will explain your situation. It's possible that if you could be around a teaching medical center for some weeks for study, tests could be done, such as imaging of your brain while reading and doing other mental tasks, to show what parts of your brain are firing on all synapses and what ones aren't. (The study I mentioned was only able to be done on autopsy, but it won't be long before it can be live. Little areas of the cortex were missing, just little patches here and there, instead of covering the entire brain.)

I know you said you studied accounting but still had a hard time. That's a field that many people with Asperger's go into, but it clearly isn't for you. If I were you, I would get doctors to help you get SSDI. Dyslexia just isn't enough to explain that feeling you have. You need the freedom of not having to work or worry, I think. The whole description of being in a dream and everything being jumbled or broken sounds as much like simple schizophrenia, without all the craziness, easy to be missed by doctors, as it does Asperger's, but it doesn't even matter except that it's required to have something for insurance purposes. It's also a condition we're learning more and more about, and it isn't about your childhood like Freud thought - it's about synapses that don't get 'pruned' by proteins in the teens, when they should. Our very active, busy imaginations are supposed to calm down in our teens, and in the schizophrenic the synapses stay pre-teen. Conversely, in dementias they get pruned too much, and instead of busy jumbled minds we get blank spots.

Anarchy (or as close to it as the modern world can get) would mean crime would run rampant, everyone would shoot anyone they wanted, including those who run shops and think someone is stealing, and chaos would make it difficult to run any business, legit, semi-legit, or a front for 'organized' crime like money laundering.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of a movie quote? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the meaning of this phrase from Timo Cruz's speech from the movie Coach Carter: There is nothing enlightened about shrinking, So that other people won't feel secure around you.

Meaning of Quote! [ 4 Answers ]

One way to open your eyes to unnoticed beauty is to ask yourself, ‘What if I had never seen this before? What if I knew I would never see it again?’” —Rachel Carson Just say how you feel about this quote. How does this relate to an issue of concern to you? Pleasee and Thank you. :]

QUOTE meaning. [ 1 Answers ]

“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.” —Marie Curie How does this relate to an issue of concern to you. I'm thinking its about ignorance but not sure what to say. :\

Meaning of Macbeth Quote [ 1 Answers ]

In Scene 2, Macbeth describes his surroundings by saying. "Light thickens, and the crow/ Makes wing to th' rooky wood." How can these remarks also be seen as a metaphorical commentary on the events of the play?

Quote Meaning? [ 4 Answers ]

What does this quote mean by Abraham Lincoln? " Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"

View more questions Search