Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2018, 07:25 PM
    Hvac, 95% furnace worth the xtra money
    Maybe get a new rheem furnace and air this year, 100 BTU 80% and a 10 seer 3 ton air now
    Is the 90% or 95 or whatever plus furnace worth the xta money and the 13 to 15 seer air worth the money, is the failure rate more with the added stuff to make them more efficient, etc ? Thanks if you have time to do this answer... richard
    Rheem now, is rheem OK to use ?
    I am looking to maybe save a little on my bill, better [FONT=Arial, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#000000]reliability[/COLOR][/FONT]

my stuff is about 10 yrs old, i am 71, i want reliabiutl, is the up graded stuff worth the money ? its almost 2 times the money for the high efficent stuff
    thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2018, 06:44 AM
    Are you replacing it because your current one is unreliable or worn out? Or are you replacing it just to save money via greater efficiency?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 4, 2018, 07:35 AM
    I have to agree with Smootie, the reasons you are considering such a change/upgrade is very important to know, a well as why you are looking at a bigger unit. Size is usually best managed by square feet to reach a max efficiency, and there is a process to determine what the best and most efficient size for your home is.

https://www.reference.com/home-garde...ae0003cb3f12d6

Bigger is not always better, more efficient, or cost saving.

Jan 4, 2018, 09:50 AM
    I am looking to maybe save a little on my bill, better relieabilty

Jan 4, 2018, 09:58 AM
    My stuff is about 10 yrs old, I am 71, I want reliabiutl, is the up graded stuff worth the money ? Its almost 2 times the money for the high efficient stuff
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2018, 09:58 AM
    Factor cost vs (projected) saving over the expected life span of the unit. If there isn't something majorly wrong with what you have now... odds are you AREN'T going to save what you think you might. Every house is different so those projected saving might be more optimistic than reality.

If you NEED a new one now.. then it makes sense to get the higher efficiency. BUT, again... there are issues going from an 80% to a 90 or 95%.

Exhaust temps won't be high enough to draft correctly through a conventional chimney (way too large a flue) requiring at LEAST a chimney liner, so more hidden expenses there.

Price a Chimney reconstruction when yours starts to crumble if you don't. And sit down before you hear it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 4, 2018, 10:01 AM
    I'm 71 and I'm going through this. Replace 4 rusty burners, or new furnace? Older than 10 years though. I don't think for you that 10 is old enough to justify.

(I have through the wall intake/exhaust)

Jan 4, 2018, 10:05 AM
    I thought that pvc pipe went right out of the side of the house for the intake and exhaust

100,000 BTU , 80% furnace runs about 700.00 or 8oo.oo dollars, plus the in stall, and they isn't hard to replace at all

Jan 4, 2018, 10:12 AM
    New hvac system
    Please, just answer the question, I now have 100,00 80% furnace, 3 ton, 10 seer air, if I up grade to about 95% furnace and about 15 seer air, is that worth about 2 times the money?
    i am looking for reliability, so is the high efficient stuff work better, more costly to fix
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 4, 2018, 10:29 AM
    YES AND NO!

Here's the bottom line: There is no way to answer this yes or no. There are many factors, including your finances and what's important to YOU.
    What I subscribe to is this: Top of the line in cost is NOT worth it because, in simplest form, technology of HVAC is always improving. I go for highly rated brands (and you can find plenty of ratings, from Consumer Reports to blogs to customer reviews), at something above middle price.
    You can spend a year agonizing what is best, but the best is at least half all about you. Another factor is what the best contractors around you happen to sell. Where I live, a rural area, that's a big factor.

Do you see that it isn't a cut and dry subject?
    Expert

Jan 4, 2018, 10:57 AM
    Are you having issues NOW? If NOT, save your money for when you do, because the initial costs will take MANY years to recoup. How many square feet is your home?
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2018, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tableclocks View Post
    I thought that pvc pipe went right out of the side of the house for the intake and exhaust

100,000 BTU , 80% furnace runs about 700.00 or 8oo.oo dollars, plus the in stall, and they isn't hard to replace at all
    Someone with more experience will chime in.. but an 80% unit to my knowledge has an exhaust much too hot for a PVC exhaust. Now if you meant AFTER putting in a 95% system... then you are correct.. that would be suitable.

But as was mentioned...expecting a return on investment replacing a working system is highly unlikely, and if its a NEEDED replacement, its probably going to take well over 10 years to start seeing any savings.

Sad thing is...asking a local guy to run the numbers for you is a bad idea..they have an incentive to sell you one and say what it takes to do it.

I can't run those numbers...but someone else might be able.

10 year old system if maintained should last a long time to come. Mine is 21 years old and rock solid reliable. (Its a TRANE), was installed the year before I bought my house.

Jan 5, 2018, 08:54 AM
    Yes thank you

1200 MAIN FLOOR 600 2ND FLOOR, BASEMENT, NO HEAT
    Expert

Jan 5, 2018, 10:31 AM
    https://www.furnacecompare.com/perl/...e_heat_loss.pl

BTU Calculator

Use these calculators to give you an idea of what I'm talking about and I used 3000 sq feet as your home size (1200+600+1200(?) to include the basement which is unheated(?) as well as normal to great insulation of walls doors and windows, and general geographic location from your avatar for desired temperature difference. I also ran them without the basement, which reduced your btu's from requiring 120,000 to 72,000 which was interesting in the context of your stated 100,000.

My whole point with all this nerd stuff is to give you an idea of what you really need, and how it is arrived at, so some smiling jack a$$ can't sell you something to line his pockets and drain yours. In addition, it's free (Or was back in the day, a phone call to the power company can clear that up) for your utility company to give you an energy audit, but there are many professionals out there that provide this service.

https://energy.gov/public-services/h...-energy-audits

You said you wanted reliability, then browse the links I gave you, and get facts, because oversized furnaces, or undersized furnaces, no matter the efficiency rating can totally destroy that reliability you seek, as well as waste good hard earned money that all us oldsters need for our meds, and vacations.

QUESTIONS?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2018, 10:44 AM
    80% runs with PVC pipe? Not sure about that. My understanding is you need a condensing furnace and that starts at 90% for PVC. I think you need a metal flue with 80%.

Jan 5, 2018, 08:54 PM
    Yes, thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have an HVAC system [ 1 Answers ]

The heat goes on manually then shuts down upstairs before reaching temp. I flip flopped thermostats with downstairs and still top floor will not click on and hold.

Acmv system-hvac system.what difference [ 0 Answers ]

Acmv system-hvac system. What difference? And similarities?

How to Choose New Hvac system [ 5 Answers ]

My current system is 10 years old. Apparently I need a new one. There is a leak somewhere in the outside coil that's not repairable. I currently have a 10 year old gas furnace both units are Trane. I live in southern Florida. House is 1400 -1450 sq ft. I'm on a tight budget. I am looking...

Choosing HVAC system [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing a rehab on a three-unit multi-family row house in Baltimore. What is the best HVAC system to consider and why?

View more questions Search