Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Jan 4, 2018, 08:51 AM
    Attic Trapdoor / Hot Cold / Condensation...
    The usual January Deep Freeze had arrived a few days before Christmas and has hung on to date... Our problem is Condensation dripping down from the Attic Trapdoor Access.. Yes the Hot meeting the Cold and the only area where the condensation is forming is around the attic side of the Trapdoor, everywhere else the rafters and all are Dry... The Insulation is held back by 8" high side boards which are wet causing the wood to swell and make it tricky to push the Trapdoor up and out of the way..

Other than applying some good weather stripping around the ledge the Trapdoor sits on when Closed.. Is there any other possible way to prevent the Condenstion from getting through... Cheers Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2018, 09:50 AM
    I'd get some sort of insulation on the other side of the trap door for starters, and second get some weatherstripping on it to prevent as much hot moist air from getting up there in the first place.

Depending on how well it fits that ledge, you might have to get creative with the weather stripping. To assure what you have enough compress-ability to close and seal any gaps.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 4, 2018, 11:55 AM
    I discovered some years ago that the attic trapdoor (with folding stairs) was the biggest place that heat got out, as evidenced by snow melt right above it on the roof. I tried to wrap a cheap tarp around some insulation, but the folding stairs shoved it around with the stairs are closed. So I insulated under the trap door using figerglass wrapped in plastic and taped to the ceiling. It looks ugly but I don't care. I'm going to get rid of it someday. With more insulation all over the attic now, no one could move around much up there anyway. It's a low ridge. There are shaped 'domes' to put over the folded stairs but they cost too much.

If yours is just the trap door with no stairs, I would wrap the thinnest possible plastic around fiberglass and place it right about the door, making sure it's making contact on all 4 sides, yet not too tight that it's squished. Make it 2" wider on all 4 sides. When moisture hits, the plastic should stop it before it condenses, and it just stays part of the house warm air.
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Jan 30, 2018, 11:18 AM
    Smoothy.... To assure what you have enough compress-ability to close and seal any gaps..
    Yes there's a super thick chunk of styrofoam Glued to the underside of the Trap Door.. Because of the Swelling due to the Condensation it can be a chore pushing up on the Door, getting it past the 12" high plywood side boards that hold back the Insulation.. Yes with Thick Weatherstripping applied properly and some form of latch mechanizium that could pull down causing sufficient seal, maybe that will do the Trick (???)
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2018, 11:30 AM
    Whatever it takes, you can lose a LOT, and I do mean LOT of heat into the attic and outside unless you get that to seal up sufficiently.

I have a trap door that sounds like yours...it just lifts up and out, not hinged or spring loaded. I glued some extra wood onto the back to give it an extra couple of pounds of weight and that's all mine needed to compress the weatherstripping I used, the plywood square on its own didn't weigh nearly enough to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condensation in attic [ 1 Answers ]

I have condensation in my attic. I have gabel ridge and soffit vents. Exhaust from ceiling fan all go into the gabel wall. I still however have condensation.

Condensation in attic [ 0 Answers ]

I have condensation in my attic. I have gabel ridge and soffit vents. Exhaust from ceiling fan all go into the gabel wall. I still however have condensation.

Condensation in attic [ 3 Answers ]

There is condendsation in the attic causing the fire alarms to go off. How can I get the condensation out of the attic. Sorry if this is a dumb question single mom that has no clue of this type of thing. Plese help:confused:

Condensation in conduit from attic [ 1 Answers ]

It's winter in Chicago and I've found condensation dripping out in small amounts from the conduit in a ceiling fixture junction box in my kitchen. There is no light fixture attached to the box as we are doing some minor remodeling. The conduit runs through the attic above the kitchen ceiling. I...

Attic condensation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a feeling I know the answer to my query but I have to ask to be sure. My home is a quad level (tri-level with a full basement) when I was up in the attic over the weekend checking out insulation levels I noticed that on the underside of the north facing roof I had some condensation dripping...

View more questions Search