Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    officecoordinator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Working out a notice after resigning
    Hi,
    I have a question. We have an employee who resigned and is currently working out his two week notice. Is that a problem with us letting him go early?
    Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Many places, ( actually everyplace I ever worked except one) always let the person go home the day they gave notice, you will of course have to pay them out for the length of the notice.

So you pay them the two week notice and just don't have them come back
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 01:14 PM
    THIS IS EXACTLY why a lot of people don't give notice. Not many people can afford the 2 unpaid weeks if they get fired early for giving notice.

But I believe they can sue if you try not to pay them the 2 weeks, they are giving a fair amount of time for you to find someone new.
    l99057j Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Apr 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
    It isn't uncommon at all to tell the employee they don't have to work out their notice. It is especially prevalent in the IT industry, where large companies don't want outgoing employees to have an opportunity to slip in a last minute virus or have access to sensitive information. If you choose to let them go early, though, you should pay them for the full two weeks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction notice or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living in this house for 46 years with my mother, sister and brother. My beloved uncle decided to take over the house because the house needed repairs. He was approved for a second mortgage. Unforunatelly he passed away. My aunt became exceutive of his estate or so she claimed, Any...

Want to get him to notice me [ 3 Answers ]

Ahh I don't know what to do I broke up with my boyfriend of 6 months and dated my ex and I think I like my ex more now and then he broke up with me because he felt bad for breaking me and my other boyfriend up and now he is trying to get me to hook him up with one of my friends and that really...

Help with 30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend renting a room from me at my home. He decided he's going to move out yesterday 8/20/06 and didn't give me a 30 day notice. I come home and his belongings are packed up. Isn't he obligated to give a 30 ay notice and pay a prorated amount if the notice goes into the next month? Or...

Notice To Terminate [ 7 Answers ]

I'm new to this fourm so I'm not sure if I'm posting this on the right thread. If not if someone can redirect me that would be great. We are in a house that we have been renting. It started as a buy. The escrow was for 90 days and the owners were renting the house to us until the escrow closed....

View more questions Search