Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JosephDuncan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2017, 01:05 AM
    How do you tell if my compost is composting or just rotting?
    This is the first time I try composting. It smell very uncomfortable. How do you tell if my compost is composting or just rotting? I am very worried.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 27, 2017, 12:14 PM
    Compost is rotting. It's a matter of how.
    If you see mold, usually white, it isn't getting enough air.
    Composting varied vegetable matter smells pretty good.
    One of the worst smelling vegetation composts, however, is plain grass clippings. Too dense! Compost needs AIR. Dry leaves, fluffing with a pitchfork or rake, etc.
    We can't begin to tell you what you might be doing wrong.
    Do many hours of reading again, or tell us step by step what you put in it and how you handle it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using compost to regrade lawn [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. I have an older house with a well-settled yard. It has settled quite a bit around the foundation so there is now a dip directing water into my basement wall. I know I need to regrade, and I want to put a patio back there while I'm at it, so I don't care about the lawn in the area I need...

Is Mushroom Compost good for turf topdressing for fighting fungus? [ 0 Answers ]

Fighting fungus in yard with compost and cornmeal.

Composting tomatoes [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any special considerations when adding tomatoes and cantalpoes to a compost geap. There seems to be an awfull lot of juice.

Compost [ 1 Answers ]

What food waste can I compost and what will not compost? Can I put bread in? Thanks.

View more questions Search