Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2017, 09:02 PM
    Nina Simone
    Simone, a brilliant musician and singer, was elected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The woman never sang a rock and roll song in her life. She began as a singer of standards heavily flavored by jazz, went on to folk and protest songs but never rock and roll.

Considering that the Cleveland Hall of Fame has almost totally ignored the pioneering black vocal groups of the early and mid-fifties, one wonders what the hell they're smoking. They seem to think rock and roll began with the Beatles.

Someone should tell them that the Hall is in Cleveland for one reason only - it was the original home radio base of the man who first gave the new music its name. Alan Freed, while not coining the phrase, called it Rock 'n' Roll. He was the single individual most responsible for bringing black vocal groups to the attention of the mainstream (white) teenage audience.

Ms. Simone, a giant in other musical venues, would likely reject the honor.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 19, 2017, 09:36 AM
    Good observation.

I had an album (Here Comes the Sun) of Beatles and Dylan songs sung by her... do they bring her into the fold?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2017, 10:46 AM
    Never heard of her... at least the name strikes no bells.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 19, 2017, 11:16 AM
    You may be to young.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nina_Simone

http://www.ninasimone.com/
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2017, 12:48 PM
    I'm 56, so not all THAT young, but still never heard of her, and I did look at those links Tal. More like it wasn't my style of music or I might have.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 19, 2017, 04:59 PM
    I've heard of her but only because of the movie Point of No Return. Only know a few of her songs, those they played in the movie. But yes, I've heard of her, and I'm younger than Smoothy. :)
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2017, 09:19 PM
    I'm older than most and I sure did hear of her but it was a jazz/blues based music. I remember more about Mahalia Jackson, saw her in Philadelphia in the 60's.
    clordi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2018, 10:25 AM
    I like the song "Black is the color of my true loves hair" a lot!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

El nino or La Nina? [ 4 Answers ]

I have searched for awhile on what this year has been and what next year is going to be. I am not to good on researching this or understanding what most of the stuff means. I know the difference of the two. I just don't know where to find the predictions of next year and what this year has been....

To simone about paper training. [ 3 Answers ]

Did you say you papered the whole floor where your dog sleeps at night until it was going in one spot and the you started taking the paper away from the other areas gradually? Thought about giving it a try and wanted to make sure I understood you! Hope you reply soon, thanks!

View more questions Search