Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack Drowder Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2017, 02:15 PM
    Is the possible for dangerous cracks to form behind paint/wallpaper?
    I have this strange phobia of buildings like my house suddenly collapsing without warning. I know that most of the time visible cracks will form before something catastrophic happens and there will be other telltale signs that the building is in danger of falling apart, but I was wondering whether it is possible for paint/wallpaper to hide any dangerous cracks that may be forming in a wall so that you have no idea how serious the situation is until the wall gives way. Should this be something to worry about?

Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2017, 04:10 PM
    All buildings have cracks... paint can't hide them and neither can wallpaper, the Material is too thin to hide any significant imperfections. ever see how strong pain isn't? Wallpaper? Understand those two things and you understand A LOT.

Are you getting counselling for the phobia? Perhaps it would help and alleviate at least this point of stress in your life.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2017, 06:44 PM
    No way paper can contain a wall collapse. That is indeed a phobia, what is it called?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 4, 2017, 07:05 PM
    Take a week off and watch non-stop home renovation TV shows.
    The amount of houses still standing after decades of people taking cuts out of beams and joists will boggle your mind.
    Fortunately, US building codes (assuming you are in the US), are so strict that it's very difficult for a residential home to fall down unexpectedly.

Commercial buildings and high rises, however, are famous for contractor errors, cheats, and architectural mistakes.
    I think it's GOOD phobia therapy to read this, as long as you also watch the home shows too, and learn a lot about construction.
    Google 'famous building collapses' and look for 10 worst high rises.
    Jack Drowder Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2017, 12:03 AM
    Thanks for your responses! They've definitely helped to reassure me. The reason I'm asking this question now is because recently I had a bad nightmare that my wall was covered all over with minute, barely visible cracks, and one day the wall suddenly collapsed while I was asleep. Is that not something that could realistically happen then? If there were tiny cracks throughout my wall, would they actually pose any danger?

I am looking into counselling for this phobia - I've only recently started having it, so it might pass after a while...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 5, 2017, 03:55 AM
    It depends on what kind of structure you live in. A single family home, no, it isn't realistic.
    A 20 story apartment building, possibly.
    Again, so much depends on the construction, including the ground it's built on, that it might help you to learn all about construction.
    Even a one story ranch will 'settle' over the years, and no longer be perfectly level and plumb. I've lived in houses built in the 1800s that were well constructed but were sagging and tilting so much you could see it, and yes, the plaster was cracking, but there was no danger of it falling down. Nowadays, with 4 x 8 drywall, you won't see tiny cracks, the cracks will be along the edges. I have a modern house with a tiny cracks along the ceiling where a wall was removed. The attic only had to sag a 1/16 of an inch to create the crack. The removed wall was a bearing wall, so even though they put in wood between the attic joists to substitute for a beam, it wasn't totally flat.

I worked in a new office building in the 80s that had inner courtyards with a lot of glass looking into them, and a lot of the huge glass panels shattered, probably because the building settled, and with glass, all it takes is a tiny bit.

I had a vivid dream about 35 years ago that I was asleep and woke up to see a hole in the ceiling with a face looking down at me. There was something very ominous about it, as I imagine you felt. Once in a great while, I think about it again and find myself glancing up at the ceiling. It happens in times of stress. Give some thought to what sorts of uncertainties and worries you are having, totally unrelated to your building. That's what a therapist would do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it dangerous if there are small cracks forming on my ceiling [ 14 Answers ]

Since the roofers put on new shingles and did it quite violently I have noticed some damage to my home. One of the things are small straight cracks going the length of my plaster ceiling in more than one place. Should this worry me? Also my three decks have come loose of my home I think also due...

How to fix new paint cracks [ 0 Answers ]

Painted bathroom with kitchen and bath latex enamel paint. Seven weeks later was still tacky. No showers or water run in bath during this time. Lucky us we had 2 other baths. Anyway was told could prime with bullseye primer and recoat with flat paint (different brand) and that would take care of...

Replacing wallpaper with paint [ 6 Answers ]

I have 3 rooms that have wallpaper in them. I want to remove the wallpaper and paint the walls. 1. Any tips on removing the wallpaper, or do I just pull it off. 2. What type of surface preparation will I need to do after removing the wallpaper.

Paint over wallpaper? [ 8 Answers ]

I am admittedly lazy and do not want to strip off wall paper. It's on good, no bulges, bubbles, tears, etc, so I was hoping to apply joint compound in a thin glaze to texturize, then prime, then paint. Question is: can I do all that ON TOP of wall paper? It's a paper, not vinyl/plastic paper,...

Taking off Wallpaper to paint [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove old wallpaper in a bathroom so I can paint and there isn't a bunch of glue left over? Someone told me to rent a steamer? Does that work?

View more questions Search