Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hiwatari_yuki Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2017, 06:30 PM
    Why do you ask obvious questions?
    So, we all definitely got asked those stupid questions before, like, you are on the ground floor of the building where you live in front of an elevator and somebody comes and asks "are you going up?" those kind of stupid questions required answer just as equally stupid like "no I am waiting for the apartment to come down" I mean seriously! My sister keeps asking such questions and its annoying! She would knock on the toilet door and ask "what are you doing?" and I like "I am inventing a new machine!" The other day my dad was cleaning the car with a hose and my sister came and asked "are you cleaning the car?" I was like "no he is watering it so it grows and becomes a bus!"
    Like what kind dumb questions are those?? Why do we ask them? It is not just stupid people like my sister, everybody must have asked those kind of questions before but why? Is it some kind of normal mentality for humans? Or is it actually just being stupid?

Thanks in advance
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2017, 06:57 PM
    Trust me that YOU do it too... we all do it. Stupid is all a matter of perspective. Not every question or comment is literal or rhetorical. Some are only made to initiate small talk.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 30, 2017, 04:56 AM
    You sound a bit young and naive yourself! It's common when waiting in front of an elevator to ask a stupid question just to break the awkward silence. Not deliberately stupid, but they can't be bothered to think of something meaningful. And sometimes they are a little scared. They really mean 'Are you waiting for the elevator or are you here to rob people?' There are many similar situations - breaking an awkward silence.

As for little sisters (or am I wrong when assuming she's younger than you?), give me a break. You're just doing what most siblings do, picking up on every little thing to get annoyed about.

Yes, I love your retorts. You should write an advice blog for teenagers who are shy and easily bullied about how to respond. I try to do that here sometimes. My most basic, starter one is to roll your eyes, sigh, and say 'Grow up.' Yours will be much more clever. Get a following and you can start getting ad dollars for it.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2017, 01:46 PM
    Here's your sign...
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 30, 2017, 07:35 PM
    There's an old saying, "there's no such thing as a stupid question", and assuming that someone is stupid because of so called "stupid questions", which most people assume are just basic small talk, or conversation starters, is a bit short sighted. Now I get that she's your sister, and she obviously annoys you, but it really sounds like you're nit picking.

As for conversation starting questions like the ones you mentioned, yes, everyone does that at one point or another, and I'm sure you've done it too, so you probably shouldn't point the finger at someone else when you too have been guilty. Right?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2017, 04:13 PM
    I think you might want to give people a break. People ask these questions either because they weren't aware of all the information (asking whether someone's going up by an elevator is not dumb if they are unaware whether there is a basement, for example); or,
    Because they weren't very careful with their words (perhaps your sister didn't mean "what are you doing" in the bathroom but was really more like, "what the hell is he doing in there - I've been waiting forever". In other words, she meant, "hurry up!"); or,
    They were just making conversation such as, "oh, are you cleaning the car?"
    People also think out loud and say things they don't really mean to be paid attention to or answered by others.

One might ask, why would you ask why people ask stupid questions? We don't know these people. We weren't there. We have no idea, really. If you were there and heard it and don't know, why would a bunch of strangers? See - you do it, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sensible gun control... its obvious. [ 37 Answers ]

Sensible Gun Control http://www.dcclothesline.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/these-men-support-your-right-to-bear-arms-these-men-oppose-it-who-do-you-trust.jpg Sensible Gun Control. Great Idea! Why didn’t I think of this? In 1865, a Democrat shot and killed Abraham Lincoln, President of the...

Is it obvious he likes me? [ 3 Answers ]

I will have to describe my situation and it will be quite long. Please bare with it and help me out, especially the guys. So, I have a guy friend who I consider as a close friend even though we do not share personal life information at all. I have known him for five years, or almost six years...

This may seem a little obvious. (I over think relationships) [ 7 Answers ]

A girl that I have know for 2 years and have liked for 3 months has been giving me mixed signals. She goes up and talks to me (the other two guys that like her go up to her to talk) but she hardly answers my texts... The other day on the bus (we were the last kids on the bus for once) she said she...

When will the ICR accept the obvious ? [ 19 Answers ]

The January 2009 issue of the Institute for Creation Research Email letter contains an article called "The Wax That Taxes Darwin". The article ends with the following paragraph : Did the earwax produced by ceruminous cells and the complex antimicrobial molecules within the secretion, along...

View more questions Search