Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Macriste Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2017, 09:15 AM
    How long must lateral chase sewer main
    Boro requires resident to fix 262 feet of lateral over neighbors property to tap the nearest sewer main. Should Boro be required to bring main adjacent to resident's property to tap lateral into main rather than chase the lateral of resident through the neighbor's property to tap to sewer main?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2017, 12:42 PM
    Should they?? Isn't that a local issue. We could not comment on local govt. decisions. I can tell you that crossing another property can be required, I have seen it done.
    wjdski Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2017, 06:17 PM
    We live in a old home in Wi. and our lateral is over 250' . When I asked our city engineer how much I would have to pay if I had it dug up to update the water and sewer they said you have to pay for every thing . I also have other property to cross . I was hoping they would of brought the main closer to our house being that we we're on a dead end , but no luck . So your not alone .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 27, 2017, 06:43 PM
    Is there a documented issue that requires it to be updated? If you and your neighbors have problems, then you all can petition the right authority to look into it, and help resolve your issues. Be aware that it can trigger some expensive consequences. Still looking into it cost little or nothing, and you may have a strong case depending on the age and condition of the sewer system, and the record of maintenance.

Don't talk to the city engineer, talk to your town councilman, or an equivalent official.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 27, 2017, 07:17 PM
    In my area, City must provide sewer lateral all the way to the property line of each legal lot on record. What ever is behind property line, is your responsibility.

Questions: Is your lot boxed in from the street by surrounding properties ? Is there an easement across your neighbor's lot towards the street where they could give you permission to excavate ? Is your property down hill ?

Back to you

Milo
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2017, 07:32 PM
      1. if I had it dug up to update the water and sewer .

1. Why the update? Are you saying the local authority is requiring you to do so or are you just asking?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do sewer flies live in a house where the sewer line has been replaced [ 1 Answers ]

I just had the whole sewer line replaced about 5 weeks ago. We had the camera test done and discovered that the whole line was cracked and opened. We noticed drain flies and gnats all over the house. I am still seeing flies and gnats now that the work is completed. My plumber said that it could...

How do I know where the main sewer of my house [ 2 Answers ]

How do I know where the main sewer of my house from the tress

Main sewer [ 5 Answers ]

I have a problem. I own a house in Glenolden Pa. Recently I had a major sewer issue, my main sewer got clogged. My husband ran a snake he rented from Home Depot to clean it out. The sake kept getting stuck at one point in our front. So my husband being a contractor decided to dig up the pipe...

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Flush 2x? Long way to sewer main [ 2 Answers ]

Our house is 300' (uphill, fortunately) from the sewer main. We have a 3.0 gallon/flush toilet, because the plumber told my husband (twenty years ago, when he built the house) that he'd need to make sure we had a lot of water going down to wash solids all the way to the sewer main. Now the top of...

View more questions Search