Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wjdski Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2017, 04:43 PM
    Soiu Chief shower drain
    How tight do you tighten up on the nut on the drain ? I have a brass shower drain and while I tightened up the nut with my channel lock pliers the neoprene washer slipped off on one side of the rubber gasket . Well I am taking it back and getting a new one , but again how tight do I tighten it ? Thanks .
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 26, 2017, 07:55 AM
    There are several drains Sioux Chief makes. Can you post a picture of the drain in question - or at least post a model number so we can look it up ?

Back to you

Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 26, 2017, 04:54 PM
    Hi Wjdski

The neoprene washer and the rubber gasket should not come in contact in any way. If I understand your issue and the strainer you are using the neoprene washer would go on top (under flange) and the rubber washer would go on the underside of the shower. However, I never use the neoprene washer... actually throw those away.

Instead, I would suggest using a mold-resistant silicone caulking under the flange of the strainer and then use the neoprene washer on the underside between the nut and the base of the shower. There should also be an anti.- friction washer that will go between the nut and the neoprene washer (see image)... this keeps the neoprene washer from slipping out like yours did the last time.

Name:  antifrictionwasher.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  274.6 KB

I know your drain is brass, but the plastic drain shown should be like your drain and should be installed as I said...discard neoprene washer (not in picture I posted, 'cause it shouldn't be used!!) Oh, and by the way, the nut should be tightened very tight!!

Post back... let me know your thought...

Mark

Nov 26, 2017, 06:46 PM
    I am sorry I meant the Anti friction gasket was the one that distorted on one side , almost like it was stretched out . I used silicone under the drain flange then on the back side of the pan I used the rubber gasket and then the anti friction gasket , tightened it and then in for some reason like peeled the anti friction gasket off the rubber gasket on one side .
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 26, 2017, 07:42 PM
    You probably tightened it too much. Also, maybe some silicone got on the gaskets, and that will certainly help it to slip out. Use Plumber's Putty on drain body flange and no silicone or putty under the pan. Do not over-tighten. Watch the gasket as you are tightening the lock nut. Once you see the rubber gasket or Anti-Friction gasket being squeezed out, stop. Your drain is installed

Hope that helps

Milo
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 26, 2017, 07:42 PM
    It sounds like you did everything right... may have just overtightened the assembly nut.

So, back to your original question, "
    How tight do you tighten up on the nut on the drain"?

My answer is that you tighten the nut slightly less than you tightened it last time. You don't need to SUPER crank on the nut...just get a good firm tightening of the nut and then let the silicone set the needed amount of time and you should be fine!

If by chance you find that the anti.-friction washer is the issue you could always make your own snug fitting anti.-friction washer out of firm cardboard or even a thin plastic plate (or similar slippery flat material), right? I've done it a couple times on lavatory drain anti.-friction washers...the supplied cardboard anti.-friction washers were just so loose fitting that they spit out the side of the drain assembly nut like happened to you here. I made a better, tighter fitting anti.-friction washer out of a plastic plate for one and a painter's bucket side for another. I have also made a number of cardboard anti.-friction washers when I couldn't believe that a manufacturer didn't supply one with their particular drain assembly!!

Anyway, hopefully you will be all set from here! If you need anything else just let us know.

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 26, 2017, 07:49 PM
    Hi Milo

I don't like putty for shower strainer applications UNLESS the shower pan is properly bedded, so I just wanted to pop in and ask Wjdski if he bedded his shower pan in mortar, structolite, or even construction adhesive if the manufacturer so recommended. If Wjdski bedded his shower pan properly then I certainly se no issue with the putty, for sure. However, if the shower pan is free floating and has any flexibility in the floor I would STRONGLY recommend sticking with the silicone caulking!

Of course, I think we would both want to tell Wjdski to remove the shower pan and follow manufacturer recommendations if he has any flex in the floor!

Hey! I'm just thinking out loud!

Thanks guys!

Nov 27, 2017, 06:03 PM
    Thank you all for your answers ! Just one note I can't use plumbers putty ( Onyx shower pan ) . I am placing this on 3/4 " plywood subfloor on my 2nd story , this is why I am so cautious about the drain . I have also used self leveler on the area for the pan . So I will take your advice and back off a tad on tightening the nut .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a maax shower drain be replaced on a crooked drain pipe on second floor [ 1 Answers ]

The plumber inspected my shower drain upstairs, and said the drain pipe going to the drain is crooked. Builders plumber made mistake in lining up the pipe. This home is approximately 6 yrs. Old. The shower is made of fake marble slabs. The drain is leaking down on the first floor. The plumber...

Can an Oatey ABS No-caulk shower base drain be used with a copper drain pipe? [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a free standing Spartan shower with an inexpensive Swanstone free standing shower. The Swanstone comes with an Oatey ABS drain. My question is: can this plastic drain be used with my copper drain pipe? The pipe is extending up over the cement floor by an inch. I believe that I must...

New Shower was connected to Toilet drain and now we get smell from shower drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Used baking soda a vinegar to clean drain, but smell continues to be present. Read that I should have the air vent checked to see if it's clogged, but I get no smell from the other shower leading me to think it's just the gas backing up from the pipes. Also, how does an air vent get clogged? ...

Sioux Chief Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have undertaken the completion of a pool house that has a 4' by 4' shower area. The shower floor is flat poured concrete with a drain in the middle and no access from below. The drain is made by Sioux Chief and is the 821 series. The drain is even with the concrete surface and is otherwise...

View more questions Search