Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmhs Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2005, 04:32 AM
    Wireless and non wireless connections
    Hi, I have a laptop from my employer to use at home and at work. At work it is networked via a wireless connection and broadband Internet access is via this network. I took it home and set up the connection to work with my own ISP (NTL) and that worked fine.
    The problem comes when I take it back to work. It always chooses my ISP connection and I cannot find anywhere to connect via the work network. The only way I've found so far is to delete all my own ISP settings but that's not a convenient solution. I've looked for settings which allows me to choose between the differenct types of connections but to no avail. Does anyone know where that would be please? The laptop has Windows XP.

THanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2005, 06:42 AM
    You should go into the Network Connections and create multiple connections, one for each location. When you power up, XP will try to make all active connections. If one fails (because its not available) then others will be tried.

I do the same thing. I connect my laptop through a cable in the office and either wired or wireless at home.

Mar 17, 2005, 08:44 AM
    NO Luck
    Thanks for your reply. This is what I tried before. But I retried it on your advice. However, the dialup ISP connection seems to override the wireless network connection and tries to dial up. I cannot seem to make it choose the netowrk connection. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mar 17, 2005, 11:53 AM
    Make sure that your Internet connections are set to Never dial.

Mar 18, 2005, 01:13 AM
    :( They are. Could it be something that the technicians have set up regarding the network that's causing the problem?

Mar 18, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Its possible, but I tend to doubt it. Like I said, I have no problems switching back and forth. I would discuss this with your company tech support. Also with the manufacturer of your wireless router.

Mar 18, 2005, 07:47 AM
    Thanks Scott - will do - at least Iknow I'm doing my bit right now.

Mar 18, 2005, 09:02 AM
    Good luck. Lets us know what happens.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 18, 2005, 10:49 PM
    Windows tends to get flakey when you have dial up along with one other connection. I think MS could spend a little more time developing that aspect of it. Try removing your dial-up and reinstalling it. Maybe that will get windows to play nice.

g/l
    TechProNow Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2005, 09:09 PM
    Windows Wi-Fi manager vs. Other Software
    Windows has it's own wireless connection manager for each wireless adapter that is on your computer.

You also have the option of installing software specifically made for the adapter.

Your computer will use one or the other for managing your wireless connection, but not both. The windows software is the platform that either connection manager uses, but only 1 will determine your preferred network, your WEP, etc..

So if you are using the Windows (XP) connection manger for your wireless networks, there is an option in the connection properties
    :: Control Panel - Network Connections - Right Click on Wireless Connection, and go to "Properties" ::

In those properties you can choose your "preferred network".. You can add and remove profiles there too. (middle tab - at the bottom)

Which ever profile is first, you computer will try to connect to. If it fails, and you don't have another profile listed for it to try, then it will continue to try and continue to fail. Unless you choose the option to connect to "any available network".

If you have both profiles in your "preferred network" settings, then maybe the WEP key for your work profile was accidentally changed when you created your home profile.

But the WEP key is typically the problem.

Confirm your web key, and re-enter it into the profile that you are having a problem with. That should work.

If that doesn't help, then change the order of the preferred network (there is an option to move the preferred network up/down).. Or, if the profile for your problem connection isn't already there, add it (with the correct WEP key).

If that STILL failes. Have your IT department check the MAC filter on their routers to see if your computer is listed as a computer that is allowed access. If it is not listed, you will be denied even if you do use the correct WEP key.

If you still have problems, write back. Otherwise let us know how it goes.

~Ryan
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
    And you tried ScottGem's advice : Internet Explorer, Tools , Options, connections,
    Check "Never Dial a connection."
    Tried deleting Temporary Internet Files, Cookies..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dial up ICS with wireless on different PCs [ 4 Answers ]

I am in an area with open WAPs. Is there any way to do the following on a LAN? PC A: Dial-up internet with ICS enabled Connected to LAN using ethernet switch PC B: Wireless internet using internal wireless card

Wireless pci card [ 6 Answers ]

I was searching for this post but I couldn't find anything on the topic I know this is a stupid question and some of you might flame me for me, but I just ordered a laptop and forgot to put a wireless chip in it, as of now I do not need the wireless but I was wondering if it is still possible...

Wireless hookup to PC [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a belkin wireless G router and have it hooked up to my PC. I want to run my laptop to it also. I would appreciate any help in this.

Wireless card [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that a wireless card allows you to connect to the internet without cables.. But after purchasing the wireless notebook card, do you have to still sign up with an "internet provider" or pay any monthly fees?

View more questions Search