Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hmac552 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2017, 07:34 AM
    After 35 years of paying alimony can I stop payments?
    I am 81 and after 35 years want to stop alimony payments in Ontario Canada. Is there a statute of limitations for this?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 20, 2017, 08:08 AM
    The devil is in the details and you may need to consult a lawyer to show them to you.

Alimony (Spousal Support) - CanadianDivorceLaws.com

How Long Must One Pay Alimony (Spousal Support)

For longer-term relationships, as well as in cases where the parties’ have children, the courts generally do not place a time limit on alimony. This does not mean you’ll need to pay spousal support forever or that you’ll receive spousal support forever. It just means that courts do not want to engage in an exercise of gazing into a crystal ball too many years ahead to see what each spouse’s financial situation will be in the future. If you or your spouse’s financial situation changes materially – for instance when you retire, it is always open to you to go back to court to end spousal support or change it to a different amount of alimony.

In short-term relationships where there are no children, particularly when the couple is young, alimony is normally time limited.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying for a child that I do not believe is mine what can I do to stop the payments? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been paying support for a chlid that I do not believe that is mine there was no dna test done what can I do to get the payments to stop and get the money that I have already paid back?

After 2 years can husband get alimony or emotional alimony? [ 2 Answers ]

From day one I supported my husband who was a personal trainer with his ex. He lost clients because they went to his ex. We moved to San Diego and I continued to support up to 3 months ago (he moved out.. after getting two jobs) NEVER gave me a scent unless I begged :{... He states that he...

Request to reduce alimony payments [ 10 Answers ]

We want to ask the court for permission to spread out remaining alimony/child support payments over a longer period and reduce each monthly payment since it is tough to pay the full amount right now. We do not want to involve our attorney who has dismissed himself from the case, nor do we want to...

Alimony payments [ 1 Answers ]

I am disabled and filling for divorce.I work parttime, If I get alimony,is that considered taxable income? And will that change my benefits?

Can support payments stop at 18 years of age [ 2 Answers ]

May I stop child support payments after my child is 18? He lives with his mother, grandmother, aunts and cousins. He has no interest in school nor do the adults he lives with. His Grandmother and Aunts collect welfare. They use my support payments for their own good, I buy my sons clothes and give...

View more questions Search