Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacey14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2017, 12:43 PM
    Tell or wait?
    If you had to tell your parents something that you know will make them disappointed in you how would you do it? I'm extreamly nervous about telling them and wondered if telling them myself was the best option or waiting until they find out themselves?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2017, 01:45 PM
    They will be MORE upset if they find out before you tell them and PARTICULARLY if they knew that you was hiding it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 19, 2017, 06:37 PM
    The longer they wait not only will what you did disappoint them, you not being honest and mature and tell them will make them angry and cause them to lose trust in you even more.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 19, 2017, 08:55 PM
    Of course you come clean with your parents. No good reason not to.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 19, 2017, 11:30 PM
    I remember all too well times when I had something to tell my parents that I knew they'd be upset about, and how scared I was to tell them. One incident in particular, they were out, my friend was over for a sleepover. It was winter and we had a lot of snow, and our tent trailer which we stored in the backyard had perfectly undisturbed snow, at least 2 feet of it, on top. I decided that I was going to make footprints on the top of the trailer. Well I got on top of it, and didn't think about the vent that was on the roof, which is what I was walking on. My foot went right through.

I was terrified. I knew that snow would now get into the trailer, and that the vent would have to be replaced. I was so upset that I asked my friend to go home, I didn't want any company.

For hours I sat waiting for my parents to get home, terrified about how they'd react. When they got home I told them, and my dad said, "that vent needed to be replaced anyway, and I can just brush off the snow and cover the hole with a tarp. It's no big deal".

All that worry for nothing!

Now that I am a parent there are times my kids do things that do upset me, but I'd much rather they come tell me about it than for me to find out some other way. No matter what it is they can always come to me. I may be mad or upset at first, but I love them, and my anger will soon go away. I would be much angrier or hurt if they didn't feel they could come to me with any problem, big or small, that they're having.

Talk to your parents.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 20, 2017, 05:17 PM
    Some things really can't wait, like pregnancy.
    That's probably the # 1 thing that young women ask about online.
    Other common ones are flunking out of college, being expelled from high school, and getting arrested for shoplifting or drugs.

NONE of those should wait another minute, especially the first one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I wait? [ 2 Answers ]

Recently my girlfriend and I broke up because she felt she wasn't giving our relationship her all. We have been best friends for about two years now, and she has apparently liked me for most/almost all of the friendship. When she told me it was shortly often she broke up with her ex because he was...

Should I wait or should I go? [ 13 Answers ]

My ex husband and I started dating 4 years ago. We decided to try it again and ever since then we have lived together. We act as if we are married the only difference is that I don't have a ring on my finger. We got a divorce because unfortunately I cheated on him. I was 17 he was 22 and we were...

Mom won't let me date. I need to wait until college? Should I ask HIM to wait? [ 3 Answers ]

Sooo. My mom won't let me date. Period. Its for religious perposes but I don't feel the same way she does. I always find a guy I like and then she ruins it. I had a pretty serious relationship last year. We hid it from my mom for over a year but complications with distance and my mom ultimately...

To wait or not to wait, *confused* [ 15 Answers ]

Greetings. I hope to get some feedback and advice on the following situation. I met this girl through my room mate's brother over the summer. This girl was his rebound after he's GF left him. As the summer progressed, my room mate's brother got back with his ex after she wanting him back. ...

View more questions Search