Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fifi9999 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2017, 09:25 AM
    What's the difference?
    I've never been a person who let things get to me as in make me feel down sad. I can feel lots of things wanting to make me feel hopeless and sad but never really think about it. Lately I feel very down and lost about what I should do I just cry a lot at random times I will be doing things and then a thought will come and I will cry. My friend told me she thinks I need to go to doctor she thinks I'm depressed she says her mum was the same and she needed medication. Ive never felt like this before I mean I've veen sad but I get on with it get over it. I tried to Google depression but I don't really understand so my question is how do you know the difference between being sad and depression?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 13, 2017, 09:55 AM
    Being sad is about feeling unhappy about something specific that you can figure out, was not too long ago, and it would make sense for anyone to feel down about.
    Being depressed is similar, but less related to something specific, and is lasting far longer than sadness would for most people. It ruins your daily life more in a more pervasive and chronic way.
    A parent may be sad for life about the death of his or her child, but any depression dragging him/her down gets replaced over time with other feelings and with some activities (other children, jobs, hobbies, pets, etc) that allow them to deal with life, with an undercurrent of sadness.
    Childhood depression is usually related to how you are being raised. If parents can't get along, can't take care of themselves emotionally, and have unresolved childhoods of their own, they often can't support and nurture and teach their children how to grow into adults. Can't LOVE them.
    Yes, see a therapist (doesn't have to be a MD). Be sure to get weekly talk sessions if you are given medication. Don't let anyone give you just medication. That's worse than useless. (My opinion is that there is far too much medication being given to young people.)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 13, 2017, 12:24 PM
    With so much going on in your so young life, there probably is no difference at this time, but I would say you need a lot of support around you to help you figure it out, and get through it. Are there any responsible adults or relatives around you to fill that role?
    Fifi9999 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2017, 01:06 PM
    I just thought maybe I was making myself feel this way thinking about all the stuff going on. I try hard not to think about things that upset me but sometimes these thoughts come on their own. I don't feel like I have depression I'm just making myself sad by worring too much. Can I go to a doctors with out my parents? Is a doctor like a therepist with duty of care manditory reporting?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 13, 2017, 01:30 PM
    Even adults have a lot of trouble blocking out bad situations or bad times they are facing and need help.Everybody needs help sometimes. You didn't answer the question about family members you can turn to. Look, I get it's so hard to trust anyone, and are very afraid of what could happen, but the way I see it, you need a friend that can help, and not just someone to talk to, and give you meds. Sorry, that changes NOTHING, nor helps anything.

I wish I had an easy way out, but there really is none. The sad part is your whole family needs help and until something happens that gets all of you that help it gets worse.

Is there a Family Crisis Hotline in your area? Try these,

https://www.allaboutcounseling.com/crisis_hotlines.htm

http://crisiscallcenter.org/crisisservices-html/

The National Domestic Violence Hotline – The Hotline

Contact Us
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 13, 2017, 03:10 PM
    I've suffered from depression for most of my adult life, as did my mother. Medication did help me a lot, and so did therapy. For me the depression comes and goes. When it's gone I'm fine, happy, "normal", but when a bout of depression hits me it's worse than the flu, I'm totally useless, can't function on any level, just sit in my room and cry. Thankfully those bouts don't last long, but they do happen. I was on medication for around 16 years, stopped taking it because I hate medication and wanted to see if I can cope on my own, especially now that I have the tools I learned in therapy.

I highly suggest talking to a therapist. If medication is something the therapist recommends, then try it, but I agree with Joy that if you're on medication, that can't be the only thing you're doing, you need therapy too.

You've got a lot going on in your young life, a little help from a professional is a good idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age Difference. [ 18 Answers ]

I fell in love with a guy when I was under 16. There is two years 1 month difference. I'm 16, he 14. I love him but don't want to get in trouble?

Age difference [ 1 Answers ]

Would it be illegal for someone who is 19 to date a girl who is almost 17

The difference is. [ 13 Answers ]

I am just curious, what is the difference between dating someone and being in a relationship? My mother sparked my curiosity when my boyfriend and I got back together and he decided he really only wants to see me a couple times a week. We've been together for over a year and a half with only 2...

View more questions Search