Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2017, 04:00 AM
    Adding a new circuit
    Because the xmas lights keep tripping the circuit, the party decided to add a circuit just for the xmas lights. But is unsure what the amps should be?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2017, 06:16 AM
    Cheapest solution is to use less lights! Depends on the load. However, I think a 20 amp with 12AWG would be sufficient unless they have the entire house lit up. Might be cheaper to switch to LED lights, particularly if they will have a licensed electrician do the job.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2017, 06:50 AM
    THanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 4, 2017, 07:44 AM
    Adding a new circuit.. To what? Where? The main panel? Extending an existing circuit?

Hi Pastor, based on some of your past miseries with electrical wiring around your church I would make very sure of what your folks want to do, please then come back and ask us.

I hope you Thanksgiving and Christmas are joyful.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2017, 09:16 AM
    It from the main panel to the carport it about ft.
    Electrician wants to add a GFCI among the other
    Parts. Cost is $200.00 seems fair to me.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 4, 2017, 10:08 AM
    Because the circuit is outdoors, GFCI protection is required.

I cannot comment on the cost, but please make sure the electrician pulls a permit and gets the work inspected if that is a requirement in your area.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2017, 10:55 AM
    Very good

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a new circuit? [ 3 Answers ]

My garage has overhead lights on a switch. At the end of the circuit is a hot outlet for the garage opener. Above the garage is attic space where I need to add lights on a separate switch. Thought I could pull power from the garage door opener outlet for this new switched lighting circuit. How do...

Adding a light circuit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a problem with a new light circuit that I am trying to install and am hoping someone with fresh eyes can tell me what I am doing wrong. What I am trying to do is add two lights and a switch in my attic. I am adding a junction off an existing light circuit (only three lights...

Adding a new circuit [ 2 Answers ]

I Would Like To Add A New Circuit And Some Outlets To An Outside Workbench And Do Not Know What Size Breaker Or Breakers I Need To Start This Project,so Here Is A Layout Of My Plans.I Would Like To Have Four Outlets To Run Off A Single Gfci Outlet,also Would Like To Hardwire In An Air Compressor...

Adding a circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing a basement and think it's best to start fresh with a new circuit for a room we're building. There is a spare circuit breaker already in the panel (30 amps), so I suppose I could just run the 12 gauge wire from it (no need to change to 20 amp breaker?). Also, how many more 20 amp...

Adding a new circuit? [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of adding a basement bathroom and I have a couple of questions about the wiring. I plan to have a wall mounted light over the vanity, fed from a gfci outlet also at the vanity. I am going to have a ceiling fan/light as well as a shower light. I do have room in the panel...

View more questions Search