Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2017, 03:30 PM
    Meaning of clause from the constitution
    What's the meaning of this clause from the constitution?

"No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken."

I understand a capitation is being used interchangeably for direct tax, but what does it mean when it says "unless in proportion to the census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken."? According to the dictionary, herein means "within this document, within this text, or in this matter" and it makes no sense in this context. Census and enumeration in what matter? And the last part "before directed to be taken" doesn't even sound grammatically correct. Maybe it's just archaic english but I would really appreciate it if someone could help explain this to me
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Nov 2, 2017, 03:49 PM
    Article ! Section 2 of the Constitution directs the Enumeration (actual count) of the population for the purposes of taxation and representation in the Congress.

https://usconstitution.net/xconst_A1Sec2.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of complete term #include<stdio.h> means meaning of #includewith definition [ 7 Answers ]

Hello this is raman middha I have a problum in one question meaning of #include<stdio.h> Explain it

What is the meaning of kayanah chithra: ? Sanskrit words. I want english meaning [ 0 Answers ]

What is the meaning of kayanah chithra: ? How do you pronounce it?

The meaning of minority to founders of the constitution. [ 11 Answers ]

I believe today there is a great misunderstanding of just what the founders meant by protecting the minority from the majority. The misunderstanding consists of the definition of minority. Today, and in particularly the Democratic Party would have us believe that to mean Blacks, Mexicans, Asians,...

What is the you.S. Constitution's elastic clause? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the U.S. Constitution's elastic clause?

View more questions Search