Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattiicakess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2017, 07:29 PM
    What will happen
    So I obtained a cheque , I watched this girl make it out to me in my name I deposited it into my account , the cheque was $860.oo . The true owner caught wind of it because it came out of her account but its still on hold through my bank. I honestly had no idea it was a bad cheque and now her son is hitting to me she is going to press charges :(
    I am a 24 year old single mother and this is my first offense . What is the punishment .

I am willing to give it all back to her when it clears into my account . I don't know what to do ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2017, 07:58 PM
    You knew from the get-go this was a bad check? Or that something was fishy?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 1, 2017, 10:33 PM
    You “obtained” a check. You knew it was fraudulent. Hire an attorney, you will need one.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2017, 01:39 AM
    "So I obtained a cheque , I watched this girl make it out to me in my name I deposited it into my account ....."

So some random person you don't know just GIVES you a check to deposit? Time to pay a lawyer... but don't bounce THAT check.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2017, 04:38 AM
    I'm confused. Who was this girl? What was the check for? Did the check have the account owner's name on it? Did you know the account holder? What relationship did this girl have to the account holder? Did you have any reason to suspect that the girl did not have the right to write a check on that account?

There is more info that needs to be dealt with here. If you acted in good faith and had no reason to suspect the girl was writing a fraudulent check, then you should be in the clear. Especially if you offer immediate restitution. However, if it can be proven that you even suspected she had no right to sign a check on that account, you could be prosecuted for theft.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 2, 2017, 05:09 AM
    I doubt you get charged unless the check writer gets charged. If the check hasn't cleared in 3 to 5 days it probably never will, and a stop should have been put on it. You have to wait and see if charges are actually pressed, and what they are. Was the signature forged? Was the writer on the account? So many details need to be brought to light.

Do you have more info?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ever Happen to Anyone Else. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there . I am now 32 days late for AF . I should be on my second cycle now. My last was September 4-6. It was a light and weird one. I have been Trying to conceive since I lost my son this past April. I've taken plenty of HPTS but they're BFN. But, this past week I've experiened since cramping...

Why does it happen to me? [ 9 Answers ]

I try to be pious. I and my family say prayers, remain honest, and stay on the good but we suffer proverty. Other people around me are all happy. Will Allah let me know why I suffer? How can I get what I want?

What would happen if [ 5 Answers ]

What would happen if during sex the condom broke but as soon as it happened he quickly pulled it out? Would the women get pregnant?

Why does this always happen to me? [ 3 Answers ]

:( Okay, I've decided that since people are telling me he needs time I am not going to text him. I have been reading sites on how to get a ex back but you know what I don't care anymore. He either comes back to me or he doesn't. I'm not going to play his little mind games. If he texts me...

Can this happen? [ 9 Answers ]

Lets say I live on my own with my children, and their father gets visitation rights, even though he sells and does cocaine (along with some other things), but I can't prove it in court. My question is, what if he gets raided or pulled over having these things found in his possession while my kids...

View more questions Search