Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hiwatari_yuki Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2017, 12:26 PM
    Why are 'ie' pronounced with long vowel sound?
    So I was wondering, words with 'ie' like believe, achieve, piece are they pronounced with a long vowel sound because they end with 'e'? Or because its an 'ie'? I know it's a stupid useless questions but you know... yeah I know its very unnecessary but whatever.
    Thanks in advance
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2017, 02:53 PM
    A lot of the words are derived from foreign languages. In many of those countries, the first vowel is silent. However, in other words the second vowel is silent. BAIT. Long A, silent I. Streak-silent A. In German, for example, BIER, beer, is pronounced BEER. WEIN, wine, is pronounced WINE (actually the W is more V. A trick in WWII was to use passwords with W because the Germans would use V. Wagon Wheels would be pronounced Vagon Veels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Translate Luca in Sanskrit; pronounced /loo-kuh/ Thanks! [ 0 Answers ]

Please translate Luca in Sanskrit; pronounced /loo-kuh/. THANKS!

Guy in hospital who is pronounced dead but is still alive but his girlfriends knows [ 1 Answers ]

Guy pronounced dead who is still alive an his girlfriend knows he still is and they're about to autopsy him even though he is still alive

How Do You Think This Name Should Be Pronounced, Please? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, All! The name is Liesl. Also, do you know if it's the name that would normally be given to a man or a woman, or maybe even both? I believe that it's Scandinavian in origin. Thanks!

Vowel discoloration [ 4 Answers ]

Sir I'm netty from phil I just want to ask why my vowel change its color into green after I orally take glutation? Please enlighten me should I stop taking glutation?

What happens when you are pronounced brain dead. [ 13 Answers ]

My son has a friend the other night his parents found him face down in the carpet and noticed that when his father turned him over he was blue and had asperated... he does not know how long he was out for and at that time there was no pulse... he has been in ICU since Saturday early morning. There...

View more questions Search