Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rnr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2017, 10:45 AM
    200 amp panel for garage
    I have a GE combo meter base with a 200 amp breaker that feeds the house. I want to hook up a 200 amp panel in my detached garage/shop, can I add lugs in order to connect the power from the garage/shop panel or do I need to have another breaker installed in the meter combo box. There is space for an additional breaker in the meter combo box.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 31, 2017, 03:28 PM
    No, you would have to have the utility company change the type of meter and base you are using.

To begin with you are going about this a little backwards. The panelboard or loadcenter you have most likely will not accept a 200 amp breaker.

Since this is a detached garage, you need to make sure you set up a grounding system at the garage.

The way to start the project is to determine how much amperage you will need at the garage. Then depending on the distance from the panelboard to the secondary panelboard and the expected load at the garage, you can determine the size of the cable. You must use either 4 wires or a four wire cable and you CANNOT use the bonding screw at the garage's panelboard.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2017, 03:54 AM
    It will be helpful if you would tell us where you are... USA? Canada?...
    If you could upload a picture of the meter combo and where it's located that would also be helpful...

Without more info a good answer is difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

125 amp sub panel garage [ 1 Answers ]

I added a 25*40 garage and will be putting AC in most of it, wash room, welding box, game room, and freezer plus off coarse all the regular outlet and lights about 4 circuits. I think I need a 125amp subpanel and have room in the main panel for a big breaker to service the subpanel. Can I use it...

Sub Panel in detached garage [ 3 Answers ]

Try as I may, I keep coming up with different answers. Help. I'm putting a sub panel in a new detached garage. There is no phone, water, gas, etc to the garage. Only the electric for the following: 2-20 amp circuits for receptacles, 1-15 amp circuit for lighting, and 1-15 amp for a garage...

100 amp panel in garage [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp main panel in my basement. I want to add a 100 amp panel in my detached garage. I have to run the new line 35 feet across my basement, through a block wall then 8 feet underground to get to the garage. 1. What size and type of wiring should I use? 2. Should I run the underground...

How to size a sub panel in my garage [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 100 amp panel in the house and I have to run 30 feet to my garage and I need a 20 amp for the compressor one 20 amp for a welder and a 15 amp for lights and a 20 amp for 8 recpeticals I do have #4 aluminum will this work for a 50 amp sub panel or what size sub do I need to have

Detached garage sub-panel [ 4 Answers ]

First I want to thank those who have given such good advice on this forum. I have a 900sqft detached garage. I am installing a 125amp sub-panel. I plan to install a 100amp main in this panel. The house is 100ft away. My plan is to run 2" PVC sched 80 conduit from the house to the garage. ...

View more questions Search