Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    junebean Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2017, 06:56 AM
    Foul Odor in Shower Drain
    We have a foul odor coming from the shower drain in the bathroom off the first floor master bedroom. I would describe it as an extremely smelly boy's locker room smell. It occurs about a minute after we are done with our shower, building until the smell is unbearable. It usually lasts an hour or two after ending the shower. The smell has been with us about 2 months. We have tried Drano, the bleach method, snaking the drain pipe, enzymes and other do it yourself tricks offered on the internet but it has not gone away. We have had 3 different plumbers over and they cannot figure out what is going on. All three have confirmed it is NOT a sewer gas odor. One said he had never seen a trap configured like ours but didn't have any suggestions other than to try to get in touch with the plumber who originally installed it. The other 2 showers, sinks throughout the house and toilets do not have this smell.

The house is built on a slab and is 4 years old. The shower is in a large shower stall. It was a change in the original plan which called for a shower/tub. We have called the plumber who installed the plumbing but they are reluctant to come. We are worried we will have to dig up the floor as we won't be able to sell the house as is.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks for your help.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Oct 31, 2017, 10:09 AM
    Is your shower base a plastic / fiberglass / composite, or a custom tiled mudset?

Oct 31, 2017, 10:23 AM
    It has a custom tile murder.

That's mud set

Oct 31, 2017, 10:34 AM
    I've been involved with several mudset shower bases that have an incorrectly installed shower pan liner.
    Liners must be installed with pitch towards a drain assembly with weep holes that allow water / soapscum, etc that wicks through grout joints to end up in the shower drain; this prevents sour, bacterial action from occurring if the water sits in an unpitched pre - pan between the mudset & liner.....

Oct 31, 2017, 11:56 AM
    Is digging up the floor the only way to know if this is the problem?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2017, 02:24 PM
    If your house is four years old call the builder they may help to resolve the issue, you have tried Drano, the bleach method didn't help, do one thing else it may help

Mix 1/2 cup table salt with 1/2 cup baking soda, stir and dump down the drain followed by a cup of vinegar, step back. Allow to soak overnight and flush with several large pans of boiling water. Your drain will smell just perfect, Good luck.

John

Oct 31, 2017, 03:57 PM
    I suggest plugging the drain with a test plug, pour a gallon of water into the shower base and let it sit overnight - if the odor returns you'll know it's not coming from the drain...
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 31, 2017, 04:29 PM
    Can you ask the other plumber, who commented on your "unusual" trap to describe in detail - and perhaps, to draw a sketch of it, so we can see what it looks like ?

As mentioned by John above, builder is responsible for his work for 10 years. Call him, ask him to deal with it

Question: when you look inside the drain ( with flash light ):
    1. Do you see standing water inside the trap ?
    2. Any white, slimy, substance on the walls of the pipe ?

Back to you

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain behind shower wall.foul smell! [ 5 Answers ]

I noticed a foul sewage smell in my bathroom upstairs. Today, I noticed raw sewage after flushing the toilet, I went downstairs to find the sewage in my utility sink (used for drain for washing machine). I checked the one main vent and it appears to be clear. In my bathroom upstairs (where the foul...

Foul drain odor [ 2 Answers ]

What do I do to get rid of the foul odor coming from my kitchen sink drains? I live in a condo. Thanks for your help. Weena

Sewage odor from shower drain and washer drain [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a 2 story home. The master bath shower drain has started to smell horribly of sewage the past few weeks as has the drain for the washer in the laundry room directly beneath the master bath. Both drains only have the odor when they seem to be dry (not in use). I have read several snippets...

Foul smell from shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a stand up shower, no septic tank, city sewer system, first floor in a private home. This is the guest bathroom and has never had this smell before. The bathroom has really never been used very often either. Just recently, someone has been using the shower on a regular basis, and now the...

Shower Drain Odor [ 1 Answers ]

Our guest shower has a sewer odor, and we have repeatedly filled the trap, but odor remains. It drains very fast, so is probably not clogged. Slab house in AZ, is there likely a roof vent for the shower only? Toilet is nearby. Know nothing about vents.

View more questions Search