Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VHALON Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2017, 03:15 PM
    Wht heating-A/C brad to buy
    I need a new furnace & a/c. I'm overwhelmed by info and am trying to decide what system is best.
    My home is3000 sq. ft. & it' between Carrie, Bryant, Goodman and Day & Night.
    I think I need a 16 seer,but each brand has several categories. Should I go with AFUE 8-98 or is 80-95 and there are 3 model per brand. When I compare the specs, they are almost the same on all 4 brands. It looks like they are all carrier divisions, but I'm assuming Bryant, Goodman and Day&Nght are knock offs and not s good. Any heater-a/c tech out there who can help me?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 29, 2017, 05:33 AM
    Not seeing any responses, I decided to put in my two cents.
    I'd google 'review' (of each brand). If you don't mind paying a little, try Consumer Reports.
    Where I live, in a rural area, we are limited somewhat by what installers are familiar with.
    I have a very nice Bryant that came with my house. But like any gas furnace that isn't stainless steel, the burners rust out.
    I did some searching on reviews a year ago and left with the impression that you really do get what you pay for, so make lists by quality and then decide how much you want to pay.
    Of course it sounds like you know all this already.

But I'll add that I read a very insightful discussion about how with the technology getting better all the time, the longest lasting/most expensive isn't always the best investment.
    On the other hand, who wants their furnace to break down when needed most?
    A conundrum. No easy answer.

I'd call 3 installers to give you their favorite brand and suggestions for model, and a quote.
    Get details of their reasoning.
    My house was converted from electric to propane, and even the insulated ductwork doesn't do a good job getting to the far rooms.

As far as what a given heat rating can handle depends on other factors beside square feet. Your climate, insulation, windows, number of stories, etc.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2017, 05:53 AM
    Hmmm.. I thought I had replied previously. Somehow it never posted. Here is my 2 cents worth:

Check out this site: https://asm-air.com/ . There is a lot of interesting info there, and a calculator available to determine the proper size unit for your house.

tl;dr They seem to like Day & Night, which unfortunately are not available near me.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH

P.S. I have no connection to this company; I just found them when researching for my own HVAC needs.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 30, 2017, 06:04 AM
    I would contact 3 local licensed, insured and bonded contractors of very good repute for estimates and interviews. All you need to know is the size of your home to calculate the probable size range you need. Both previous posters are spot on with their "2 cents"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What movie does Brad Pitt watch in True Romance? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so the first time we see Brad Pitt and he meets Clarence and Ritchie and all them, and they leave, we see a close-up of the movie Pitt's character is watching. All we see is a woman, and old fat woman, in what looks like a blue nightgown with blood on her shoulders. She's outside I think...

Brad lidge [ 3 Answers ]

What uniform number did brad lidge wear while he was at notre dame

Brad Simmons_Oil Business [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for any info on Brad Simmons _ Oil Man. Are there any published accounts on him?

View more questions Search