Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    torontontario Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2017, 05:30 PM
    Can I receive refund on car rental damage deductible if it was paid by insurance
    Hello,

I am from Toronto, Ontario. I am living under ODSP (disability) in my sister's house.

On March 2017, I rented a car from Dollar/Thrifty in which I did not purchase LDW insurance. The credit card I was using did not have car rental insurance either.

The next day I was involved in a fender bender with another car in a parking lot. It was partially my fault and partially the other cars fault. There was damages on the back bumper of the car rental and no damages on the other car. I took down the info regarding the other car and driver and did a collision report at a nearby collision reporting center (operated by the police). The police estimated the damage repair cost to be around $1000.

I provided this collision report to Dollar/Thrifty when returning the car. They told me the damage repair cost may be a lot higher than estimated on the report. They tried to charge $600 as the deductible for the damage cost on my credit card which declined (due to insufficient credit). I refused to pay and they threatened to send the debt to a collection agency.

Since then, I have been receiving threatening letters from a collection agency to sue me in court if I refuse to pay. I was waiting for the full details regarding the repair costs to rental car, which I have not received to this date. When I requested for these information from the car rental, they simply told me "your file is no longer in our office" and to contact the collection agency.

I believe the repair costs were paid by the other car's insurance policy. Do I have a chance in winning this deductible debt in court if the repair costs were in fact paid by the other car's insurance?

Oct 26, 2017, 07:29 PM
    What can collection agency do if I owe debt and under disability?
    Hello,

I am from Toronto, Canada living under ODSP (disability) in my sister's house.

I owe large amount of money to a collection agency. I do not care about my credit score. What can possibly happen if I ignore their demands to pay the money, and they take me to court and win?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2017, 08:19 PM
    First, they will attach anything you own or ever will. Obviously this is a debt you incurred. You feel there is no liability on your behalf? Own anything of value? Have any checking or savings account? Will you always be disabled? If not, and you obtain work, they can attach your wages.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2017, 08:21 PM
    What you "believe" means nothing... you have to PROVE It. They also aren't obligated to get it fixed where YOU want or under your terms. YOU failed to pay, now you have to deal with the collection agency,. who most likely will Take you to court. And win since this is a valid debt.

Oct 27, 2017, 12:55 PM
    Thanks for the answer. I'm being advised from a different source they will almost not take me to court since it is a small debt and since I've provided them proof of my disability income when refusing to pay for the debt in e-mail.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 27, 2017, 01:20 PM
    I know so many people who after refusing to pay or ignoring a creditor, find out their bank accounts are frozen. Hope your disability benefits are not direct deposit.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2017, 09:25 AM
    I can assure you that an unpaid debt, particularly if recorded in a court document, will follow you forever. They don't have to take you to court to file a lien against anything you own or will own.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 28, 2017, 10:25 AM
    At the very least you should officially dispute the debt in writing and include the things you have outlined here in that dispute. That would be the proper step to take to sort this out where it doesn't bite you in the butt in the future.

You may want to rent a car in the future, or get another place to stay... you never know, but you do know a judgement against you will stay forever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filed property damage to rental property, got a settlement but never paid the [ 2 Answers ]

My tenant damaged a glass door, claims they did not do it but filed a claim against their renters insurance and got a settlement but never gave us the ,oney for the damaged door. Is this illegal

Mortgage broker lied about refund of pre-paid insurance. [ 1 Answers ]

I recently refinanced my house and was assured several times (by the broker and closing agent)that if the house sold within 1 year that 4/5ths of the pre-paid insurance,$4100.00, (on an FHA loan) would be refunded. The house sold in a few weeks, I never made a payment on the new loan. After...

I paid taxes for 2007, now have amended refund, what about money I paid [ 1 Answers ]

I paid $4000 with taxes for 2007, now have amended refund of $5300. Should I received back money with an original return I paid?

Can my taxes refund be garnish if I receive cash aid asistance I haven't receive no le [ 1 Answers ]

If I receive cash aid asistance in California does my baby daddy have to pay it back with taxes refund even dough they haven't notify me about any outsatnding balance??

My taxes paid mistakenly; how do I receive refund? [ 3 Answers ]

I did not work or receive income in MI, but my company had been mistakenly paying state income tax to MI. A little history; this was an international company, and I had previously lived in MO. I live in TX now, and I think the whole "Missouri" thing is what threw them off. I don't owe anything...

View more questions Search