Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fisher123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2017, 07:49 AM
    How do you determine the size of cct breaker to use , i.e. 3KA or 6KA etc ?
    What is the procedure of cct brkr selection in terms of overcurrent protection
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2017, 12:17 PM
    How do you select a circuit breaker?
    There are some unusual situations, but for simplicity
    let's assume we are looking at typical residential style
    panels and circuit breakers.
    First, what is the load or the power requirements of the item to be
    connected? Most household items can be connected to a 15 ampere or 20 ampere
    receptacle so the breakers would be 15 ampere and 20 ampere also.
    Electric dryers usually take 240 volt, 30 ampere receptacles which would require
    a two-pole 30 ampere circuit breaker...

Now the question It appears you are heading for, is the short circuit or fault current rating of the circuit breakers. Usually you will need to contact the serving utility for that information. Available fault current is related to the size of the transformer supply and the length and type cable from the supply to the panel.
    Most residential services are adequately protected by 22,000 AIC rated breakers. If you live in the city with underground networks the utility fault current can be much higher so you will need to consult them for a safe rating.
    Note that the above is assuming location in the USA.

Did this answer your question?
    fisher123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2017, 11:13 PM
    Thanks for the answer its given me an insight into the calculative process but I am in south Africa so does this same process apply ?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2017, 03:46 AM
    In a general way, yes...
    Can you give me some background for why this
    question has come up? The more I know the better
    the answers can be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I determine breaker amps on a 240v double breaker? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new elec. Cooktop that needs 240V, 40 amps. Each pole of the double pole breaker for my cooktop circuit Says 30amps. So can this 240v circuit support 60 amps, or just 30? Thanks!

Compatibilities between awg wiring, breaker amp size, outlet amp size [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Is there a resource out there, prefereably on the web, that outlines the compatibilities between awg wiring, the breaker amp size, outlet amp size, how many recepticles/outlets can be on x amp outlet, etc? For example, it would be nice to see something that shows: you can use a 20 amp...

How to determine which fuse size I need? [ 2 Answers ]

I've just installed power door locks in my Honda Civic, and I've placed a fuse holder along the wire that goes from + terminal to the door lock relay. First of all, should it be on the + side of the battery or the - side? More important question is, how do I determine the fuse size that I...

View more questions Search