Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    choveshcourse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2017, 11:35 PM
    How could someone detect and remove the chemical composition of a given stain ?
    Hi Teddy,

For a long while I have had a desire to tackle the question of how to clean clothes without using water or perc (dry cleaning).

Since I am not a science expert, I would like to know if you could answer my theoretical question that if one could make a machine to do this...
    How could someone detect the chemical composition of a given stain on a piece of cloth and then remove the stain from the fabric while not damaging the fabric?

This question would include stains that are 10 years old.

TY,

C
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2017, 10:54 AM
    Who is Teddy? In our research lab, we would first soak the fabric in Deionized water. Then you would test the water for various chemicals. We did this mostly for marine claims to detect salt water damage. We would also use Acetone, cyclohexane and other organic materials, then use Gas Chromatography to determine chemical composition. Any modern analytical lab would do this all the time, forensic labs for criminal investigation use similar techniques.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove wood stain [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of trying to remove wood stain from my dado... have applied paint and varnish remover as instructed.. but it hasn"t dried out or blistered ,instead is very gooey and when i have tried to scrape it off is like glue ,now i"m left with a mess any suggestions please??

Chemical composition [ 1 Answers ]

I need help I don't understand this! :confused: A sample of sodium carbonate (Na2CO3) weighs 15.0g. Calculate the following Quantities with work shown. A. moles of NaCO3 B. number of Na2CO3 formula units C. number of Na+ ions D. moles of CO3 2- ions

What is the chemical composition of porcelain [ 1 Answers ]

What is porcelain made of. Is it the same a ceramic?

Composition of Chemical Formulas [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure how to calculate the number of atoms in the following chemical formulas. The parentheses are confusing me. Thanks for your help: CH3(CH2)16COOH (stearic acid) C3H5(C17H33COO)3 (triolein)

View more questions Search