Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aerotops Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2005, 04:27 PM
    Tax Problem: Wrong form
    Hi,
    I have a tax question. I am a student on an F1 visa here. I have filed for taxes 2 times now. My uncle basically did my taxes for me and both times he filled out the 1040 instead of 1040 NR. Just this semester I came to know about the 1040 NR thing. Can anyone tell me how to rectify this situation, what all to rectify and any potential problems I can have due to this.
    Thanks,
    aerotops.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 15, 2005, 06:48 AM
    Aerotops:

Aerotops:

Well, the first thing you need to do is get the 2002 and 2003 version of Form 1040NR and work up your tax returns to see if you owe any additional taxes.

If not, then a simple amended return (Form 1040X) with Form 1040NR attached for each year should get you straight with the IRS. Any competent tax professional should be able to handle that for you.

If more taxes are owed, you have to decide whether you want to bring attention to yourself on this matter. Apparently, the SSN or ITIN that you used did not identify you as a non-resident alien and the IRS (and your local state) think everything everything is just fine with you. If your status is changing this year to that of a resident alien, then maybe it would be best to just lay low, file your taxes as a resident alien, and see if the IRS comes calling. More than likely, In my opinion, that will not happen, assuming there is nothing in your records that specifically identified you as a non-resident alien.
    aerotops Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2005, 12:08 AM
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I have been trying some info on it but frankly, I have not been able to. Also, I don't think I have a copy of my 2002 Tax forms. I have the 2003 though. Is there any way I can get a copy of my 2002 forms from the IRS??
    Also, in any case, since you seem to know about the 1040 NR form, I have some questions about my case. I also read another post by you that you charge $100 for filing the 1040NR. I could pay you for your consultation. If you want to get in touch with me, my email is [email protected] .
    Thanks,
    aerotops.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Used the wrong form for 2004 - Need help [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I used a website to file taxes for 2004 and filed a 1040A when I was a student (F1) all of that year. I even got my refunds. Tax deadline for 2005 is fast approaching, and since I do not pass the substantial presence test (was on OPT for 191 days), I need to file a 1040 EZNR this year....

Wrong SSN on the W-2 form? [ 5 Answers ]

When I get my W-2 I did not pay attention that my SSN is mistaken. Do I have to declare this income when I file my taxes? I mean the company made the mistake and they are not willing to fix it. What to do? This is good for me bacause my income is getting lower,but I do not want any...

Filling wrong form of taxes help! [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know what will happen if they gave a 1099 Misc, and instead I filled out a W2..? Answer me as soon as possible!! Please

Filed wrong form [ 9 Answers ]

I'm a j1 student doing hospitality training right now. I filed 1040ez instead of 1040nr. I didn't know about that at all. What should I do? I filed tax return year in 2002 as well. But I don't know if I did right or wrong Because that time I received $3. my friend filed it for me. I was on F-1...

Used the wrong form [ 1 Answers ]

I'm using F-1 with an OPT to work last year. I didn't know that I don't need to pay medicare and social security taxes. I submitted form 1040A (e-file) via one website. And this website doesn't provide a service for 1040NR. What should I do? Should I resubmit 1040NR? Can I cancel the 1040A...

View more questions Search