Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogsarecool33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2017, 03:26 PM
    How to stop dog's barking?
    My husband and I have a one-year old Newfoundlander cross puppy named Moose. He is a very sweet boy, and is mostly well behaved. However, just before the summer he developed this habit of barking anyone that walked past our fence (our house is neighboured by two houses with walkways, and a back alley for parking). Every time our puppy is outside and someone walks by, he runs up at them barking, and he has quite a loud bark. He stops when we come outside, and he looks at us like he knows it's wrong, but continues barking at them until they've left or walked all the way past. On walks he's fine until he lunges and starts barking at people, other dogs and kids walking past. He is stronger than me and can definitely pull me over. When we're at the off-leash park he is fine as well for the most part. If he's not running and playing with another dog, he'll run up to a stranger's dog barking. Once he settles, he carries on playing until he meets another random dog. My parents have two dogs and he plays well with both of them, no barking.
    We've tried both the spray bark collar as well as puppy training classes and nothing seems to be helping... our trainer pointed out that he's a very sensitive puppy. But because of his size and the amplitude of his barking, people stop to pet him and then he barks and gets scared. It's extremely embarrassing, not to mention terrifying for the person on the other end. We know that he's a big softie but strangers don't know that. I am at my wits end and am looking for another solution. When we eventually have kids we don't want to have to get rid of Moose because he is barking at our playing children. Any help is appreciated, we really want to get him to stop barking!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2017, 03:44 PM
    I PMed your question to our member Oliver. Hang in there! He will give you great advice. (Others may too.)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 22, 2017, 07:45 PM
    It sounds like you have a nervous barker on your hands, and that's not an easy issue to resolve. There's a wonderful pet trainer online name Zak George, he uses positive reinforcement and play to train. He has tons of free videos online, very indepth and very helpful. I would check him out. Just Google or go on Facebook and search for him. I've found him very helpful with a lot of issues I was having.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my dog to stop barking at everything? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a dog named Daisy. She is in the backyard. She is very very lovable. She is a Beagle Mixed Lab. She barks at frogs, birds, people, bees, cats, squirrls, rabbits, cars, lawnmowers, etc. I would like help trying to make her quiet down some.

My dog won't stop barking [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old Aussie Shepard mix and he is always barking when we go out. I have tried a mussel and discipline , covering his crate and putting him with a play mate I have now moved on to shock collar (spray collar and sound dose not work either). And the barking has stopped but now he...

My Dog Won't Stop Barking at Me! [ 3 Answers ]

I love my dog & I take him to the dog park to run everyday. My question is two-part. 1) Why doesn't he bother with the other dogs much. If he meets other dogs on the street or in a home, he is social & plays with them. But in the dog park he is just zoned in on the tennis balls or sticks. 2) ...

Dog who won't stop barking [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sheltie who is almost two years old. She was rescued from a pet store that was going out of business. After purchasing her I found out that they had her in a crate with a much older animal who would "bully" her around. Her first few months involved her being extremely skiddish and it...

Dog won't stop barking! [ 1 Answers ]

My dog just won't try barking!! He's an american bulldog and he is pretty lazy.. I tried everything! I tried to see if he needs attention, if he needs to go outside, if he's hungry(or thirsty), and if he wants a spot to sit down... NOTHING worked!! PLEASE HELP ME Thanks...

View more questions Search