Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smartin85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2017, 08:24 AM
    Is it safe to connect a hose to the hot water heater discharge pipe?
    I have a gas hot water heater and there is some water draining from the discharge pipe on the side of the tank into a bucket that I have to empty every week or so. I was just wondering if I could connect a hose to it and run it over into a floor drain on the other side of the room. Is it safe to do that or should I just leave it the way it is?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2017, 10:26 AM
    "Is it safe?" No! Obviously you have an issue with the TPV valve. Do you know why it's dripping? Instead of running a hose, why not fix the problem? People say "it costs too much". When the tank ruptures or overflows and floods your basement you will find out how much it costs.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 22, 2017, 06:59 PM
    Hello Smartin85, as said in above post, attaching hose to dripping T&P valve is not the right solution to your problem

When Temperature & Pressure (T&P) valve leaks, that means one of three things is happening:

1. Water pressure is too high
    2. Hot water temperature too high
    3. Possibly, bad T&P valve

Do this:

1. Put pressure gauge on cold water valve somewhere BEHIND pressure regulator ( on house side ). Pressure should not read more then 75 PSI. If more then 75 PSI, replace water pressure regulator + replace T&P valve

Or

2. Set thermostatic dial on your hot water heater to lower temperature + replace T&P valve

Also ...

3. Replace T&P valve as its memory is now compromised and it will not hold pressure as it should

While at it, I suggest that you install Thermal Expansion Tank as well

Hope that helps

Milo
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2017, 11:30 PM
    I agree 100% with both experts, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my water heater discharge pipe plumbed to recirculate to the supply? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved into a house with a 40 gallon gas water heater. The discharge pipe on the pressure relief valve is piped to recirculate to what I believe is the cold water supply to the water heater. There is a small cylindrical copper looking device that looks like it says "regulator" at a 90...

Can u connect a drain hose to a metal sewer pipe? [ 2 Answers ]

Have old house, no drain in basement. Have high humidity use a dehumidifier. Is there a way to connect the drain hose from that to a what appears to be a metal of some sort sewer drain pipe? Thanks

How to connect undercounter water filter to sprayer hose supply instead of h2O line [ 0 Answers ]

I have a new Honeywell undercounter water filter to install. I do not want to filter all of my cold water-just use the filtered water faucet for drinking water. How can I connect the supply water line to the current supply for the sprayer hose? The water lines that came with the filter are much...

How do you connect the kitchen sprayer hose to the copper pipe under the sink? [ 1 Answers ]

The kitchen sink has a hole on top for installation of a sprayer. It also seems to have an independent copper pipe with a valve underneath however, there are no threads on this copper pipe for threading a tube from the top to the copper pipe. The copper pipe is capped.

Leak from discharge pipe water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 13 year PRV50 water heater that just started leaking thorugh the disdharge pipe and is filling up a 5 gallon pail in about 12 hours. Is this worthwhile to repair or simply time to replace unit

View more questions Search