Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Char321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Mold underneath shower tiles
    My husband and I rent an apt. in a 100-year-old house. The shower tiles fall out weekly, and we stick them back in with grout; however, the many cracks and crumbling grout have let water into the wall behind the bathtub fixtures. There is an overwhelming mold smell in the bathroom, and as I am pregnant and have a baby, I'm concerned about the air we breathe. To make things worse, our bedroom closet is in back of the leaky shower wall, with a very large hole in the wall to allow the landlord easy access to pipes. He leans a big board over the hole, but can't seal it if he wants to reach the pipes. So, we now have an even worse smell in our bedroom and our clothes are completely embedded with the odor.

What should we do as tenants to get rid of the mold, since we can't fix it as thoroughly as homeowners?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 17, 2007, 10:55 AM
    "What should we do as tenants to get rid of the mold, since we can't fix it as thoroughly as homeowners?"

I would make two calls. The first one to the health department and complain about the health hazard my landlord's inflicting on a pregnant woman and the next to the plumbing inspector about the water inside my walls. That should get some action. Good luck and let me know what happens. Don't let this slide. Mold is imdeed a health hazand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold behind wall in Shower.. [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a upper townhouse 2 years ago. The onsuite has a shower. It is tiled on the floor and walls, with a glass door that opens up. There is also a 6 inch step to get into it. When we bought it looked liked clean and there was relatively fresh cauking all around the shower. We have always...

Shower walls without tiles [ 8 Answers ]

I have a bathtub installed with shower already and am finishing the walls and do not have to the time or the money to put in tile. Can I just paint the dry wall with several coats of waterproof paint or a shellac? I previously tried using a cheap, fake-tile-board glued to the dry wall that leaked...

Re-Install of Shower Drain from underneath [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all. I am new to this site but have been impressed in my searching at the wealth of knowledge in here. I am re-installing a shower drain from underneath as the current one was found to be leaking. The situation goes like so: We have a shower stall installed and tiled walls all...

Shower Tiles [ 3 Answers ]

The shower tiles in the shower stall have mildew. Also one of the wall with tiles below the glass shower wall is buckling. The tiles right in front of the shower (once you step out) has mildew and moves a little. Could anyone suggest how I can correct these without breaking my bank. Thanks.

View more questions Search