Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arnoldziffel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2017, 08:09 AM
    Cement steps - fill
    We are having cement steps constructed and the fill used is concrete from the old steps, which I understand... but on top of that there are several shovelfuls of loose dirt. Will the integrity of the steps be affected by this? Thanks!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 20, 2017, 08:23 AM
    I'm pretty sure that the dirt serves to fill in the air spaces of the old concrete rubble.
    How well it's tamped down might be the important part.
    Also how solid your ground is under all this in the first place - did they prepare below grade?

Some depends on how much old will be used, and how much new is going to be mixed, and how the ground was prepared.
    Take pictures of each step (hah) they do and ask for explanations as they work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cement block steps [ 8 Answers ]

sorry about being so vauge. The steps will be attached to a cement block wall which starts about 8 ft below grade.the block for step would be 8x11,I would like to make them wide about 8ft the height is approx 4ftabove grade.the house is in Belize central america and it never gets below...

Cement block steps [ 2 Answers ]

I have a beach house and the soil is 100 percent sand.i want to build cement block steps how deep should the footing be.ihave not seen any home repair or massonary books on sand bases. Thank you sal cucuzza

Bricks on cement steps [ 2 Answers ]

After a cold winter the bricks on my original cement walk are separating and then loosen. I have tried liquid nail but it is only a temporary fix.

Steps to building a shower base on cement basement floor [ 2 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. I want to build a custom - tiled shower base in my basement (cement floor). The area already has the rough in for the shower. I have read the steps for building the base if you need to lay a sub floor i.e Subfloor, tar paper,metal lath, floor mortar, laminating...

Cement steps cracked by metal railing - best way to repair? [ 2 Answers ]

I have steps in the back of the house that are poured cement, about 6 inches thick, sitting on top of a wood and stucco structure. Embedded in the steps is a metal handrail. Every step where the metal is embedded is cracked and broken. I believe that over the years, water has snuck in between...

View more questions Search