Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandiecookie1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2017, 03:59 PM
    Edit your photos before or after you copyright?
    I would love to hear from someone that has had their actual photos copyrighted or some that knows the legal aspect of copyrighting. The reason I ask is because I need to know if I have more a foot to stand on with "original photo "OR" the edited version my photo being used without my permission.

Is it best to edit your photos before or after before you copyright?
    ThirdOracle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2017, 10:08 PM
    As for the copyright of your photo. Did someone steal your photo off the internet? In general, your digital works (whatever you’ve done before & after you put your photo on your digital device, the internet etc.you is covered by the DMCA of 1998 (Digital Millennial Copyright Act). Your work is yours in all it’s forms. It might depend on where you live (Country), if you put the photo up on a site that has terms where all images can become their property (per their TOS (terms of service).
    If someone stole your photo edited or not off the internet, you can report them to the search engines and/or whatever platform your stolen photo is on.
    So in sum, it doesn’t matter if edited or not typically in the USA. If your concerned about this you should copyright your work with the US Copyright Office or... use editing software where you can protect your images by putting your watermark in the image or use a splicing tool so no one else can change it. If you use editing software like Adobe Photoshop read their instructions on how to do this in their help menu. You didn’t say if this is a digital image or if it’s an old photo etc. It’s hard to completely answer your question without all information.
    **This is not meant to replace the advice of legal counsel. You should seek the advice of an attorney for legal assistance& matters.
    K. Scott
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2017, 04:50 PM
    I am not an attorney...

Unfortunately, today, even EXIF file, created by Photoshop, and in-bedded in a hidden pixel, can be stripped of your copyright information

Any image you upload on Internet should have copyright sign © and your name on it. If you see your image without your name, notify the webmaster, and the poster, and ask them to either apply proper credit, or take it down. Here, you are putting two separate parties on notice. One of them will act. Every decent human being will comply with your request

Original RAW file will prove ownership of the image, regardless of how the image was modified

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Edit photos before or after you Copyright? [ 2 Answers ]

I would love to hear from someone that has had their actual photos copyrighted or some that knows the legal aspect of copyrighting. The reason I ask is because I need to know if I have more a foot to stand on with "original photo "OR" the edited version my photo being used without my permission. ...

Copyright law [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering, does anyone know if it costs anything to get something copyrighted? I just recently finished a story, and would like to have it published, but I would like to get it copyrighted.

Phots copywrites [ 1 Answers ]

How can I copywrte a digital photo that I took?

View more questions Search