Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chryslyandra Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2017, 01:33 PM
    Given that the willingness to suffer misery for the sake of others is a virtue...
    Why not just go to Hell for all eternity for the sake of your loved ones? Because after all, their happiness and well-being are more important than your own. Millions of lives are more important than a few and given that there are those who would go through pain and suffering for others (a child living with Depression for his parents' sake so they don't go through the same), why not just off a multitude of people so that the rest of the world can be happy? After all, they don't matter because a crippled or afflicted person's purpose for living is analogous to that of a sacrificial pig; why does ITS happiness matter when EVERYBODY ELSE'S happiness is more important?

Other people's lives are more important than me and I'm an insignificant nothing compared to everybody else. I wish I could take my own life without consequences...
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2017, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chryslyandra View Post
    Why not just go to Hell for all eternity for the sake of your loved ones? Because after all, their happiness and well-being are more important than your own. Millions of lives are more important than a few and given that there are those who would go through pain and suffering for others (a child living with Depression for his parents' sake so they don't go through the same), why not just off a multitude of people so that the rest of the world can be happy? After all, they don't matter because a crippled or afflicted person's purpose for living is analogous to that of a sacrificial pig; why does ITS happiness matter when EVERYBODY ELSE'S happiness is more important?

Other people's lives are more important than me and I'm an insignificant nothing compared to everybody else. I wish I could take my own life without consequences...
    Get help, every individual is important, and you should not judge yourself against everyone else. I think you are having a pity party because you are not the centre of attention and are living in your own personal hell. Jesus has an answer to that, follow him
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2017, 06:16 PM
    Because we can't go to hell for anyone, And we don't suffer for anyone, we suffer (if needed) for what is right. That is often for a general good, not anyone specific

The issue is that everyone is important and no one is important, we all have the same value

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Willingness to Pay [ 5 Answers ]

If I'm willing to buy a piano for $1000, how for should I be willing to drive to get one? How far*

Do I suffer my own happiness for the sake of keeping a family together-my family! [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, this is going to be long, but I need to sort it out! So I've been with my partner six years an hAve too beautiful sons, the first three years was good, anyway got pregnant with my second son and towards the end of the pregnancy an OLD FLAME got bk in contact with me via Facebook! Baring in mind...

Willingness to pay and Net present value [ 1 Answers ]

Could anyone please explain the relationship between willingness to pay and net present value, and how these then translate to cost benefit analysis? Thanks.

Who deserves credit for our virtue? [ 6 Answers ]

A lot of what's posted on these boards is devoted to assigning blame for vices that we committ. But sometimes, we actually practice and embody some truly great virtues. When we do that, who (if anyone) deserves credit for it?

View more questions Search