Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joselmdz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2017, 05:49 AM
    I don't like people close to me when I eat
    I become very uncomfortable when people get close to me when I eat, if too close I get angry, I don't like my wife and or kids to get close to me when I eat, I like to eat with my space not invaded. I tried to deal with it, like just to not say anything about it but I get angrier and angrier and I don't know why, I just cant stop thinking that the person is too close to me and I don't even enjoy the meal...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 4, 2017, 07:12 AM
    OK.... on the scale of phobias, that's not too bad, and should be easy to handle.
    First is a way to allow you to eat with no one close to you. If your kids are very young, they aren't going to understand, but do try to gather everyone (at dinner!) to explain that it's a real fear. You could say that you are working on changing, but need their help for now, to let you eat surrounded by X inches or feet of space. You could even put chairs around you.
    Second is the way to overcome the fear. Most techniques use small steps, small efforts on a pre-determined schedule, with each little step carefully spelled out. Your wife may sit nearest without being too near, and may reach over to hand you something, or refill your glass - anything that you think is a good first step.
    If you don't ever WANT to change, you won't. That's something only you can decide.

Decades ago, there might have been attempts to analyse your past to see how the fear started. You can certainly think back over your life to at least realize when it started, and you might be able to remember an event or series of events that were very unpleasant. I know that I once got violently ill after eating a dish with fresh mint in it, the only ingredient that I didn't usually eat, and I won't go near mint now. This sort of avoidance based on one obvious event is very common. Yours may be more complicated.

But again, the reasons aren't really the important part. Whether or not you want to change is, and if not, how you will arrange your life around it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I like to be nude should I shair this information with people that I'm close with? [ 6 Answers ]

I am a closet nudist living at home with my parents. Most of my friends and family have no clue of my lifestyle choices. I have been enjoying nudity for a while now (at least 7 maybe 8 years). I've always woundered what my friends and family thought about the subject. All in all I would love to be...

How to close a window on the internet when it won't let you close it [ 2 Answers ]

Hey my cpu won't let me close a window on the internet. Can someone please help me?

Message on shut down, other people are using this computer are you sure you want to close [ 2 Answers ]

I get this message when shutting down, other people are logged in using this computer are you sure you want to shut down. I am the only one ever logged into this computer what does this mean.

Why most people close eye when kissing [ 1 Answers ]

I lost my consciousness for several seconds when a girl Kissed me. Well, kissing is a simple thing. Why should that Happen? Beloved Kiss: This is the one where time stops, the world disappears, your Thinking vanishes, and you become the kiss. You lose your Thoughts, judgment and all...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

View more questions Search