Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LIL28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 05:03 AM
    Invalid e:drive
    I have been trying to download Windows Defender but I can't because I get invalid Drive e:\ message. I am not very computer literate so am not really sure about what to do. I thought I could Map Network Drive but I don't know which Folder to select. Also a colleague tried to install software for a Netgear wireless dongle and he also got the invalid e:drive message and he thinks something may be corrupt. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? All advice would be welcome. Thank you Lil
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 18, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Go to start menu, at the run prompt, type in "diskmgmt.msc". This will bring up the disk management windows.

Look at the left hand column, What does it say for Drive E:?

If drive E: is shown as a CD-ROM then you will get the invalid message, if you try to save something to it.

What are the steps you took to try to download Windows Defender?
    LIL28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 03:51 AM
    There is no e: drive showing at all. In the top white box, under Volume is (C:). I the grey box underneath, on the left it says Disk and in the box next to it which has grey lines running diagonally, is (C:) again. Underneath Disk is CD-ROM 0. And that's all I see.
    I am trying to download straight from Microsoft downloads and when I try to run it just says e: drive invalid
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Don't Run, use the Save option.
    wtsitmn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 04:28 PM
    If other options don't work, then you're left to do things the hard way. Chances are your registry is messed up, and there are references to drives which once existed but no longer do. This can also happen if software was installed from a network at sometime in the past. If you're not already familiar with the Windows Registry and the program REGEDIT isn't familiar, then Stop Now, go no further! You can really mess up your system doing what I'm about to tell you, so it's not for novices.

Okay, so either you know what you're doing or you love taking big chances. Either way, here goes. Go into your registry (you're already familiar with regedit and how to do this, remember?) Search for data with the value of the "missing" drive. For example, you can search for E:\ to find drive e:. Change it to the drive you're really using, probably c:. Repeat this process until you've searched and replaced every occurrence. Again, if this isn't clear, then don't try it. I've intentionally not given detailed instructions because if you need them then you probably shouldn't attempt this. Even experienced individuals can really mess up their systems by editing the registry, especially when searching and replacing little bits of data throughout like this. It worked for me, but I know what I'm doing, and I have a death wish.

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invalid drive E - when trying to install software from CD [ 2 Answers ]

I have tried to install software for my SPV phone and on another occasion my Ipod, and can't complete or begin the installations because it states invalid drive E. All installations are via CD rom which works fine as far as I can see. Any ideas...

What the heck? Invalid Drive E:\ [ 1 Answers ]

In response to another post (yes, I'm just too anxious to respond with the answer that I couldnt' wait for sufficient priv's to reply with the answer) regarding installing JDK and getting an invalid drive error.. Scenario: - my My Documents is mapped to h:\ at the office - I have my laptop...

Invalid drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have compaq p1,booable from FDD.I formatted it dos mood by command format c:/s.Now it boots,but when I insert win98 cd it does not know cd and sys invalid drive. I tried all drive letter.

What the heck? Invalid Drive E:\ [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, so I am trying to download java onto my computer because I need it for my web page building software. However, every time to go to download java, I get a message "Invalid Drive E:\" Well, I don't even have an E: drive, at least I don't think so, I have been going nuts on how to fix this...

View more questions Search