Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gentleman2222 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2017, 03:10 PM
    When do I need to use sand paper before I paint?
    There is a black strip of metal between my driver's side window and the car door. The black strip of metal had been losing its paint such that you can see the silver metal underneath. Today I sprayed flat black paint onto the black strip of metal and the paint did not adhere to the black metal strip (you could still see the silver metal).

Given this, I had read that sometimes "sanding" with sand paper and then spraying the metal strip would help the black paint adhere to the metal strip. Is this true? If not, what should I do so that the black paint would adhere to the metal bar?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2017, 04:27 PM
    Are you sure it is metal and not plastic? Clean the area to be sprayed with mineral sprits. Use 400 grit wet or dry paper to lightly sand the material. Wipe with mineral spirits. IF you have sandable primer, apply a light coat, let dry for 20 minutes and lightly sand the primer. Wipe with mineral spirits and then spray the finish coat. If you do not have primer, sand, wipe and apply a couple of lights coats of finish material. Read the can about recoating. If not properly dried, the paint may blister with the second coat.
    gentleman2222 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2017, 08:40 PM
    I was wondering: could I simply use a black permanent marker (like Marks-a-lot)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my sand filter leaking sand in the pool? [ 2 Answers ]

Is my sand filter leaking sand in the pool? Yellowish/grey residue matter is coming into my pool, especially whilst vacuuming. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can you paint over wall paper [ 5 Answers ]

Can you paint over wll paper

When painting kitchen cabinets is it best to sand first, then paint? [ 2 Answers ]

Thinking about painting my kitchen cabinets without the expensive kitchen re-modeling work. Which type of paint is best used on wooden kitchen cabinets?

Uneven Sand paint on walls! [ 4 Answers ]

We moved into a new house about a year ago and the living room walls are textured with sand. Whomever did the work was obviously not a professional none of the sand is even there are spots covered in it and some with hardly any at all. I want to repaint it but if I paint over the walls you'll...

Why is my sand paper not working? [ 1 Answers ]

Im sanding my car(electric hand held sander) and I have 320 grit sand paper but it works fine for about 5 minutes then it stops taking the paint off. Why is it doing this?

View more questions Search