Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pamteaches Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2017, 06:54 AM
    Cover weathered plywood w/T1-11?
    I live in Phoenix, Az, where it gets super hot and revives very little rain. My garage was built by the previous homeowners out of 2x4s and plywood. The plywood is very weathered and getting weak in that if you kick it in some parts, you can kick a hole right through. Would it be safe/advisable to place T1-11 right over it? Or, does the old stuff have to come down? I'm concerned that moisture could form between the old plywood and new T1-11 and eventually have growth of mold or something between the two, even though it's so dry here. Any advice?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 26, 2017, 09:14 AM
    Do it right once, and tear out the old stuff before you replace it. That will allow you to INSPECT your structure and make a decision about it's long term integrity. Also, before you run down to the DIY big box store and catch the big sale, research your project by seeing if that's the best material to use in your area LONG term.

Are you covering the plywood with siding?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2017, 02:25 PM
    I agree with talaniman... not doing it right the first time only adds work and cost when you have to do it a second time.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2017, 03:47 PM
    1. eventually have growth of mold or something between the two

Even as dry as it is, mold and mildew spores are probably already there. I'd tear the old off. Make sure to keep the T111 at least 6" off the ground, I believe most codes use that figure.
    2009 IRC Protection of wood and wood based products from decay shall be provided in the following locations by the use of naturally durable wood or wood that is preservative-treated in accordance with AWPA U1 for the species, product, preservative and end use:Wood siding, sheathing and wall framing on the exterior of a building having a clearance of less than 6 inches (152 mm) from the ground or less than 2 inches (51 mm) measured vertically from concrete steps, porch slabs, patio slabs, and similar horizontal surfaces exposed to the weather.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 27, 2017, 03:07 AM
    There's 2 grades of T1-111. The high grade is expensive but makes good siding with nothing behind it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

plywood is sold 4x8 how much needed to cover 15f by 12f? [ 1 Answers ]

plywood is sold in rectangle sheet 4 feet and 8 feet long. How many 4x8 sheets of plywood are needed to complelely cover a rectangle shaped floor measuring 16 feet by 12 feet?

Making furniture look antique/weathered [ 3 Answers ]

How do I make my furniture look antique or giving it a weathered cracked look?

Repairing weathered fascia [ 1 Answers ]

When I re-roofed my home about 4 years ago I neglected to replace some fascia that had been damaged by the hot AZ sun. I have filled some of the cracks with painters caulk, and others with spackling compound. Prior to applying those materials I cleaned the surfaces with a belt sander and a wire...

24"-36" weathered bronze downrod for ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a 24"-36" weathered bronze downrod for a Hampton Bay 60" ceiling fan?

How much plywood 4x8 to cover 200 sq ft [ 11 Answers ]

contract calls for 200 sqft of sheathing(plywood 4x8 sheets) any thing over that amount, you must call the city. is 200 sq ft(1sq ft= 2.1 linear ft) 400 feet in linear ft. but how many plywood sheets would it take to cover 200 sq feet?

View more questions Search