Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LJC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2005, 11:36 AM
    Problems installing Access 97
    I had XP Professional installed on my computer. It was installed over Windows 98 and all the programs I had installed with 98. After installing XP, I was able to install Word 97 fine; however, when I attempt to install Access, during the set up process it tells me that it cannot open certain files like MFCANS52.DLL, MSVCRT20.DLL, and ODBCKEY.INF. These are all in the system32 file if that means anything to anyone.

Also, when I attempt to uninstall Access, it takes me to to the installation process again! :eek:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2005, 02:08 PM
    I had no problems installing Office 97 on my XP Pro machine. What I suggest you do is completely uninstall Office, remove the folder. Make sure you save any documents or templates you want to keep.

Then do a reinstall of Office.
    LJC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2005, 09:55 AM
    I don't have the entire Office suite. I just use Word 97 and Access 97, and when I go to uninstall the Access through Add/Remove Programs, the only option I am given is to install it. I just checked, and there is no uninstall option when I put the CD in, either. Is there some way I can revert back to Windows 98 and remove it there?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2005, 09:58 AM
    Try completely uninstalling Office 97 then use Microsoft's cleanup program from here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q176823

Then you could reinstall it and select a custom installation in order to only install the Office components you need.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2005, 04:57 PM
    Do you mean you purchased Word and Access as separate packages? That doesn't make sense, because buying 2 separate pieces usually costs more then the package.

I've never dealt with installing the separate versions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Router access point problems [ 11 Answers ]

I have a wrt54g router and a wap54g access point. Now the problem is I have used them both for some time now but just recently they have started to lose the signal, well the wireless network will just go away. I mean for no reason the wireless network will just go away as fast as it appered. I have...

Problems installing a programmable thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, Just got a Honeywell RTH230B programmable thermostat to replace the old one. I have a gas furnace. I uninstalled the old thermostat and found three wires: Red, connected to terminal marked "R" White, connected to terminal marked "W" Green, connected to terminal marked "B" I was a...

Can't access pop3, Pop3 access not working from my computer [ 1 Answers ]

I have XP SP 2 - Its been about a week since any of my pop3 accounts have worked (Gawab, Gmail, Spymac, Toughguy). The error messages I am receiving on all of my pop3 accounts are similar to : The host 'pop.gawab.com' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name...

Outlook Web Access problems [ 11 Answers ]

When logging on to my email through OWA at home on my laptop, I can view emails but cannot send, forward or create a new email. It just freezes for bit and then back to normal. Can you help me fix this problem.

View more questions Search