Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    montgomery1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2017, 03:07 PM
    we have constructed an sign 4' x 8'. How can we provide the wind load for a permit?
    The sign is 4' x 8'. The sign is made of 2' x 6' treated lumber, for the frame, and 2 sheets of Royal Mouldings Limited PVC Board (4' x 8' ft. sheets), for the substrate. The sign is connected together with 3 inch decking screws and construction adhesive. The sign will be mount between 2 6' x 4' treated post cemented into the ground. Because we constructed the sign ourselves the county is asking for wind load proof of 90 mph for a permit to be issued. How can we show our signs wind load?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2017, 07:06 PM
    You have 32 sq. ft. First you need to find out what basis in your area is used for wind speed, it will be in MPH. Then you can use a wind speed to wind load conversion. However, you also need to determine the depth requirements for the posts to determine the tipping point. Just because you have the post size is inadequate, you also need depth requirements. Why don't you ask the local Inspectors for their input. Was a permit required for this sign?
    montgomery1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2017, 02:41 PM
    Thanks. We requested the permit (which is required) from the local inspector. The inspector really do not have any specifics to provide us for a guide. It appears that the sign vendors (which we are not) certify that the sign meets the minimum 90 MPH wind load and provide the depth for the post to the inspector. The inspector then inspects that the holes are dug to the depth. Our problem is we do not have the certification from an engineer nor the required depth which the post need to be in order to meet the 90 MPH requirement. We are a church and build this sign ourselves. The sign is 4'H x 8'W x 6"D.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2017, 12:17 PM
    Unfortunately, it's a bit cart after the horse. The permit should have been obtained before the sign was built and installed. I don't know how you can get engineering certification after the sign is done. You might be able to get a PE to donate their time, particularly if a member of your church. I'd also try to Google "engineering signs for wind load" or something like that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculate wind load on bill board sign [ 1 Answers ]

We constructed a bill board sign, 24' long x 12' high which is facing North-West. We have wind gusts up 120 k/hr at times in Alberta Canada. We are considering drilling holes to reduce the wind load on the sign. What should the hole size be and how many?

Cannot provide PCC in Dubai UAE, is it ground for denial for a temporary work permit? [ 0 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam: I Liza Ponte, A Filipino national and I'm applying for a temporary work permit in Canada and my LMO(Labour Market Opinion)will expire on February 4, 2012. I submitted my application package in Canadian Consulate in Hongkong last Oct. 26, 2011 and I received their letter notice...

How to convert wind speed to wind load [ 0 Answers ]

How to convert wind speed to wind load

Sign Industry Wind Load Charts, Sign Section Modulus Charts [ 0 Answers ]

Recently I've been designing commercial electrical signs. Signs of the type that are on tall poles, or the big pylons and monuments you see in shopping centers, roadsides, etc. lit by neon and/or fluorescent lighting. In order to properly choose the size of poles, and the depth and diameters of...

View more questions Search