Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minibike6969 Posts: 78, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2017, 08:27 PM
    Attic fan motor wiring
    I'm replacing my attic fan motor and the old motor only had three wires (red,blk,white ).the new motor has four wires( blk-hi,blu-med,red-low) so can anybody help me to wire this motor.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 23, 2017, 01:03 AM
    Where are you located? The existing wiring you describe would is for a 240vac circuit (three wire)

Please give us the manufacturer and model number of the fan you are trying to install.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2017, 06:11 AM
    Old Fan may have been 2 speed? The New one a 3 speed, You could get a 3 speed rotary switch with an Off position. If existing was 2 speed, Black for low, and red for high or Vice Versa. Maybe?
    You can just use a single pole switch and use the speed you desire(low, medium, or high).
    Seeing how the existing is wired will help a lot, May even have adjustable temp control, When attic exceeds a temperature, it will turn on.

Good Luck
    minibike6969 Posts: 78, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2017, 12:36 PM
    Dayton direct drive blower motor 1/2hp #4M101BG also do I need to add a capacitor and can I connect the control box from the old motor to the new motor and wire it to the low speed
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2017, 12:44 PM
    It is probably a 2 speed fan motor. Look at the switch. Last one I replaced had a double throw switch. 1 hot, 2 speed. Motor should show wiring diagram.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2017, 08:36 AM
    You could use s single pole double throw, with a center "off" as mentioned
    Common terminal goes to hot, One pole could be 1 speed, the other pole a second speed, May need a rotary for all three speeds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace Attic Fan Motor [ 6 Answers ]

47743Hi -Looking for help on how to replace my attic fan or maybe just the motor?I know one of the boxes in the image is the thermostat and I'm not sure what the other box is which has that copper looking relay? I think the box with the doorbell is where the fan gets power.I was told by a HVAC...

Can I use a Trane 3 ton 12 seer condenser motor in my attic for cooling? [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced my condenser fan motor about a year ago. Now I replaced my Trane 3 Ton condenser. Leaving me with a good fan motor. Can I use it in the attic, for cooling?

Coleman blend air ii attic motor bypass [ 0 Answers ]

Can I bypass the attic fan on my Coleman Deluxe Blend Air II.The motor is bad.The red light is on and my A/C won't work.Thanks

Blower motor won't shut off in attic [ 4 Answers ]

How do you fix a fan motor that does not shut off at the furance and what do you normally shut the fan limted switch too I know if I go up there and turn fan limted switch it will shut off and the theromstate and fan motor have to be set togather this old unit but heat great beside this problem it...

Attic vent fan motor [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace the motor in my attic vent fan. The only specs given on the old motor are 120V, 60 Hz, 2.6 amp. The only motor I found at Home Depot is a 120V, 60Hz, 1.9 amp with an external capacitor. Is this a suitable replacement? What are the critical specs when replacing an electric...

View more questions Search