Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bob Magee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2017, 12:40 PM
    Distance from walking path for planting flowering dogwood trees?
    I'd like to pant some flowering dogwood saplings along a walking path near Flint, Michigan. Part of the path is covered in wood chips and part of it is concrete. Two questions: 1) What is the closest distance to the wood chip path I can plant without having to worry about walking into branches, and 2) How far away from the concrete do I need to plant to avoid any alkaline leeching that might negatively affect the trees?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 22, 2017, 02:45 PM
    I have 40 year old dogwoods along my driveway (I'm losing some!) They are pretty close, maybe 2', and any low hanging branches can be trimmed. I only have one branch touching the top of my van.
    You don't say if the concrete is new or old, but regardless, sidewalks aren't very thick, so I wouldn't worry about leaching. But dogwoods like to be slightly acidic, so I suppose stay closer to the wood chips.
    Plan it mainly based on aesthetics.
    Have people stand where the trees will go and stand back and squint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are flowering trees dying [ 1 Answers ]

They are yellowing & black dried out bark do not look healthy

Dogwood Trees [ 4 Answers ]

I live in North Carolina, and have been told that I can be arrested for cutting down a DOGWOOD tree. I think it is because it is a STATE tree? My question is... How do the Land Developers get around not Bulldozing these trees when they are clearing land to build houses, office blocks, supermarkets...

Dogwood Trees [ 1 Answers ]

My area got a freeze just prior to the buds on my Dogwood Tree blooming for the spring. Subsequently all the buds on my two year old Dogwood are dead. The tree did not flower this spring and I have no leaves now. Question: Should I prune the tree (cut off all the dead buds) or just leave it...

Dogwood Trees [ 2 Answers ]

I had some Pink Dogwood trees. They are now White.What do I need to do to bring back my pink ? Thank You Ramblinrose Texas :eek:

View more questions Search