Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samson12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2017, 12:34 PM
    Girlfriend with Chronic health problem.. HELP!
    After 6 months of dating my girlfriend revealed to me that she is a life long carrier of hepatitis b (got it at birth but found out 4 years ago - her sisters have it too). At the moment it is inactive (but the virus is such that it may or may not get active in the future and therefore she needs yearly check ups for the rest of her life to monitor it). She got it from her mother at birth. My worry is that she told me after 6 whole months of dating after I'm 100% emotionally vested and I'm deeply in love and I was committed to her. I had seen a whole lifetime with her, that's how much I loved her. But could her amazingness be because she was yet to reveal this? Could be an act/facade to show how nice she is to make up for when she reveals this condition? Her real self could be different?
    She has hid it for 6 months and when she went for her check up 2 months into our relationship, she told me she was going for her parents general health check ups. She has to go for yearly check ups for her whole life for monitoring.
    We also had protected sex many many times AND she lost her virginity to me before revealing this hep b (we are 23).. but she says she isnt infectious as she is just a carrier and her viral load is undetected so she never put me at any risk. However, it could get active at any moment and that why she has to go for yearly check ups even the probability is maybe close to 0.
    she says she had told me everything about herself including her back pains…so I guess she left this out in fear I would leave her or she was just generally scared as no one apart from her family know about it and I'm the 1st person she's told.
    Before revealing this she called me her soul mate, wanted us to meet each others parents, went on a weekend hotel trip with me (which was kind of her idea) and we met very very often and texted almost endlessy.. but she never told me this. She could have been scared to tell me or made a big mistake by ignoring it or really thought it was a non issue to be revealed early on in a relationship?
    I Don't EXPECT HER TO TELL ME ON THE FIRST DATE, and I know its very hard to tell someone this sort of thing but she told me after 6 months..
    she said she didn't tell me as she cant tell any boyfriend so early and she told me now as she felt we were connected enough..

and over the 6 months we would meet almost every other day and text limitlessly and spent lots of time together so I was definitely very emotionally attached. She even said that the days we did not see each other it was the must to talk on phone that night.. she almost never disagreed with anything.. would have sex whenever I wanted too. How did she have sex when she hadn't revealed this yet? She did not even ask if I am vaccinated?
    2 months into our relationship she went for her yearly hep b check up but she hid it from me.. instead telling me she was just going with her parents for their general check ups.. WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS SITUATION GUYS?

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 21, 2017, 04:36 PM
    First, please don't repeat yourself so much. Half of this is repeated.
    Here are some details:
    You are both 23
    You have been close for 6 months
    You first had intercourse SOMETIME during that 6 months, but don't say when!
    The rest is extraneous, except for the fact that you feel deeply connected to her, yet lied to, lie by omission, and lie by commission about the checkup for her parents.
    That is very understandable. I wouldn't like it. I would tell her so. I would tell her all about any confusion you feel, everything you said here.
    (I personally would disclose such a condition BEFORE ANY SEX AT ALL.)
    So... of course you have a right to be hurt and angry.

You are not as closely connected as you think if you have to ask total strangers online what to do.
    You TALK with her. Calmly, alone, no sex, at a time when you have a lot of time to talk.
    You go to her doctor, with her, to be tested, and to ask about transmission. Go into detail about the protection you use for sex. Ask about small cuts or scratches or even bleeding gums or saliva or vaginal secretions or ANYTHING and be clear.
    You assess your situation AFTER you do both of those, ASAP.
    I assume that you have researched Hep B in depth? If not, spend tonight doing that.
    https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hbv/bfaq.htm
    That's easy reading, from the US site.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 21, 2017, 07:23 PM
    You are hardly the first guy (or girl for that matter) who has fallen hard in such a short time, and found out your angel is a flawed human being, and upsetting as that is, it happens all the time. While it's not fair for you to blame her for YOU falling hard and fast, it is a bit upsetting she never shared this issue with you before sex.

I have stop dating girls for less, and have been dumped for less. It happens more than you could imagine. Issues pop up early in relationships and cause all kinds of problems. You can try talking about it, and see if you can resolve it, or go about your business and be the wiser for the experience, and the lessons learned. Sorry for sounding so cold about this, as I am sure you are very upset, everyone would be, but this is where we decide if someone is worth the effort it takes to keep it going, or NOT.

6 months is about the right time to make that decision, so I think you honestly and calmly express all your concerns and see what happens next. It may be no comfort to you now, but ALL couples young or old get challenged, and love tested by something like this happening. Life, love, and reality is always challenging, so get use to dealing with it, and if you cannot, then at least be honest about it, or it will eat you alive and make you miserable.

I don't care what she or anybody else says though, the first order of business is to get yourself checked, and keep yourself checked, AND informed, as that is what any responsible sexually active human does. You should have been doing that anyway being 23, unless you are an inexperienced virgin yourself. Stuff can happen when you have sex, and the unintended and unexpected can happen. It has! I won't make excuses for her mistake, I am sure she learned a valuable lesson herself, but how you both deal with this challenge is what will both define and set the tone for any future you may have. You move forward together, or move forward apart, and that's just the way it is, despite the starry eyed high hopes, and expectations. Nobody's fault for that.

Start the conversation see what happens. I wish you luck, but warn you it's only the beginning of the work it takes to grow and nurture a relationship, no matter what the issue is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Health problem [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend hasn't had a period, having symptoms of pregnancy for the last 5-6 days, like cramps.We don't want a child now. How to get rid of the pregnancy.

Female health problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have pain,swallowing ,menses in my vagina.I am suffering from intestine infection from last 2 years so,suggest me medicine ti take .

Health problem [ 2 Answers ]

Its been a week since I mistakely douched 2 hours after sex. This week I have experienced queasiness and weird vision in the past few days. Not to mention, I am late on my cycle for this month. What could this be? A hormone imbalance? Need some type of advice.

Health - SVT problem [ 0 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed as having SVT (Supra Ventricular Tachycardia) in April 99. I am under medication. Takiing Calaptin SR 120 twice a day. Doctor suggests to go in for Electro Physiology - electrical ablation. How accurate and what is the success rate? I am 55 years old and is it advisable to go...

Women's Health Problem. Please Help [ 0 Answers ]

You asked: Hi, I am a 21 year old female.I have very irregular periods , they usually come every two or three months. Sometimes I bad pain in that region that comes and goes. It also hurts when I have sex and we always use lube, 75% of the time bleed a little afterwards. We do not do anything crazy...

View more questions Search